Discuss Strange fault with Drayton programmer in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

If they take the valve off and replace it them it would be worthwhile to fit isolator valves to save draining down the system when it fails on 30 years time. A drain down and flush could be on the cards to get rid of any crap in the system, the whole lot may have acquired a chunk of magnetite stopping the valve from operating fully. Does the valve operate fully?

I could be talking out of my arse but would induced currents have an effect on the new programmer?
problem there is BG maintenance contract excludes drain and flush tha't chargeable at exhorbitant cost. they quoted us £800, and even worse, it was not the problem. some pipework was wrongly fitted (by them).

As mentioned I have had exact problem changed everything from fan on boiler, motherboard, tank stat, 3 way valve, both at least twice in 2 years thermostat in hall, sensor on boiler it's lmoat a new system again.. baxi boiler, always been good. Had electrician in the check wiring..all ok... Today Changed the brand new (2 months old) Drayton, put old Drayton timer back reset timer and working.... It's been driving me mad for Over a year... And yes CH came on soentimes only when water is on but not always. If the fault continues I will change the CU for a different brand.

Three days of working HW and CH, after removing and refitting Drayton, now HW not heating. So will reset Drayton remove it and see what happens....I'm 99% sure it's the Drayton at this stage.. if no joy I will buy a different make timer.

Have you checked the valve in the HW position or/and switched off the power to see if the valve then motors (spring return) to the HW position, it would seem that the valve is remaining in the CH position for whatever reason, what about cylinder stat?.

OK, but when you say "hot water not heating" you should then be able to establish with a multimeter if incorrect signal is still going to the valve or if the boiler is not getting a signal to fire up or whatever. If just switching the power off-on without removing/replacing the programmer then that would indicate not a pin problem.

Attachments

• Mid Position Valve.pdf
    30.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Strange fault with Drayton programmer Mid Position Valve Switches - EletriciansForums.net
    Mid Position Valve Switches.gif
    20.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Y plan mid position valve Operation.docx
    122 KB · Views: 3
  • Strange fault with Drayton programmer Y Plan Wirin - EletriciansForums.net
    Y Plan Wiring.gif
    19.8 KB · Views: 4
The only fix currently is when the unit is removed and replaced via the bracket.

If it continues to fail CH or HW and it changes from town to time, I'll gent a sparky in again, failing no problems with electrical, I will buy a new brand of timer.

Maybe worth having a read.

Reply to Strange fault with Drayton programmer in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock