Discuss Street light removal, any tips? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Vortigern

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
So I have a brief to sort out the removal and re-instatement of a lamp post in the street. It is for a new build and the new house will get in the way of the street lamp. I am thinking Highways and streets department for this. I know DNO WPD will do the work but they say permission must be sought from the council first. Anyone had any experience with this kind of thing? Like how long the process and how much?

My first arrest was a drunk driver who over cooked it on a bend and demolished a concrete lamp post in his VW caravanette. Was actually out walking a beat at about 2am!

Generally if it's a council owned ['adopted'] street lighting column you would contact them to explain what was needed and they would instruct their contractor to carry out the work - at your expense. If it's an older column they might want to take the opportunity to renew it at the same time but you shouldn't have to foot the bill for that part. Edit - If this is one of several lights in the street and you want it moved by more than a couple of metres this can mess up the spacings and 'uniformity' of light and they could even insist on resiting it on the opposite side of the road, that's when things can get very costly with a new DNO supply etc.

Generally if it's a council owned ['adopted'] street lighting column you would contact them to explain what was needed and they would instruct their contractor to carry out the work - at your expense. If it's an older column they might want to take the opportunity to renew it at the same time but you shouldn't have to foot the bill for that part. Edit - If this is one of several lights in the street and you want it moved by more than a couple of metres this can mess up the spacings and 'uniformity' of light and they could even insist on resiting it on the opposite side of the road, that's when things can get very costly with a new DNO supply etc.

They also need to be a certain distance apart as it is a way of determining a speed limit :)

My first arrest was a drunk driver who over cooked it on a bend and demolished a concrete lamp post in his VW caravanette. Was actually out walking a beat at about 2am!
Yep, back in the day....1988! Imagine two uniform officers being out on the beat in a quiet residential area today! Pigs might fly! if you'll pardon the pun ;)

There are usually approved contractors who do this type of work. If you can find your local one they may be able to do the work with no council involvement. Lightways is the main contractor here, don't know if they cover your area.

There are usually approved contractors who do this type of work. If you can find your local one they may be able to do the work with no council involvement. Lightways is the main contractor here, don't know if they cover your area.

That would only work if the light wasn't owned by the Council as they would have to use their current maintenance contractor for anything to do with 'adopted lighting'.

So had a look at the light in question today. Interestingly it is actually on the property of the client. Maybe I should be asking the council to remove it or relocate. I am thinking this may save the client a lot of money. Looks scary on site deep excavations with retaining walls all around!

It may be on an agreed 'service strip' even though on private property or there could be a Wayleave agreement in place for it to be there - but if there isn't it gives you plenty of leverage. :)

So I have a brief to sort out the removal and re-instatement of a lamp post in the street. It is for a new build and the new house will get in the way of the street lamp. I am thinking Highways and streets department for this. I know DNO WPD will do the work but they say permission must be sought from the council first. Anyone had any experience with this kind of thing? Like how long the process and how much?

Surely this would have been seen when the plans for planning permission for the new build where submitted

Reply to Street light removal, any tips? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock