Discuss Stroma Assessment questions in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have my first Stroma assessment coming up, i qualified from college a few years ago and have been working building up my experience until i felt ready to go for sign off.

I'm preparing for my assessment and have been reading about what to expect. One of the things that i have read is that part of the tested safe isolation procedure is to prove the supply side is dead.

I'm unsure how to do this. The job i am being assessed on has no isolation switch before the consumer unit so I cannot ensure the supply side is dead only the load side?

Is this correct?

Thank you for your help and i really learn a lot reading this forum.

I think you misunderstand the question.

Safe isolation is about proving you have isolated the circuit you wish to work on, not the building supply.

Hope this helps

the idea for safe isolation is no current getting through the isolator or mcb other then the old bs3036 fuse by testing and proving that no current is visible on you tester and dead before hand.

Don't forget to lock off and keep the key. Usually they seem to ask you to isolate on Ze domestic don't know what you are showing for your assessment? There is more paperwork than practical testing, and techy questions. Not difficult if you have trained and practiced. Just daily calcs etc. Are you just going for domestic?

If its like the niceic ones, i have been asked to do some basic calculations for hypothetical circuit, to work out suitable breaker. nothing to tedious, just take your time and write it down. if unsure have the formulae for these things on little postcards you can easily refer to without looking it up. if you laminate them you can then use dry wipe pens to do calcs.

Great thank you everyone, it all makes sense. Yes it is domestic i am going for, i have put a small board off a henley block for a cooker circuit and a ring main, so expect the usual tests.

Looking forward to getting it done!

Hi Everyone,

I have my first Stroma assessment coming up, i qualified from college a few years ago and have been working building up my experience until i felt ready to go for sign off.

I'm preparing for my assessment and have been reading about what to expect. One of the things that i have read is that part of the tested safe isolation procedure is to prove the supply side is dead.

I'm unsure how to do this. The job i am being assessed on has no isolation switch before the consumer unit so I cannot ensure the supply side is dead only the load side?

Is this correct?

Thank you for your help and i really learn a lot reading this forum.
To give you a plain and simple answer yes, have a good look at the video by Chris. Good luck with it come back and let us know how you get on it will be useful for other members facing same as you.

Out of interest how have you done notification for work that comes under part P building regs up to now and if via building control in the past what was the deciding factor to go with a CPS scheme ?

They expect you to turn the main switch off on the CU prior to removing the cover, use a proving unit or a known source to prove the other side of the switch is dead and then do your normal tests. You will probably be asked to perform a ZS and ZE and know the differences, also expect questions on how to test a rfc at the board and at socket outlets.

Hi everyone, thanks again for replies, this is such a good forum.

In answer to why going cps, i used to work for a person that was a qualified supervisor, so he ultimately worked with me, checked and signed off any work that required it. Now i am braving the big wide world alone and i am finding that sign off would be useful. Plus i like the challenge and want to see what the assessor has to say about my work.

Of course i will let everyone know how it goes and what was required!

Safe isolation is a banker question, that I find is always asked each yearly assessment (domestic), as well as what others have said, I learnt to add these for isolating a CU, not just for an assessment.

Ask the owner/tenant if it is okay to isolate the installation, do computers, washing machines mid cycle etc, need shutting down, or emptying? Turn off or remove mcb/fuses one at a time. Turn off main switch, then go into safe isolation procedure. You can always prove your voltage tester the live side of main switch.

Make sure you have all the documents to hand, that they require to see & check.

Slightly off topic but does anyone know what the tester Chris Kitcher uses in the clip above is called? The one which sends the signal back to the mcb for the wand to detect?

Firm I work for has just taken on a unit with several distribution boards where hardly anything is marked up, that tester could save us hours of work.

ATB

Chris

Slightly off topic but does anyone know what the tester Chris Kitcher uses in the clip above is called? The one which sends the signal back to the mcb for the wand to detect?

Firm I work for has just taken on a unit with several distribution boards where hardly anything is marked up, that tester could save us hours of work.

ATB

Chris
It is a fuse finder, the one in use there is probably the Socket & See FFCB100UK Easy Fuse Finder.

Great thank you everyone, it all makes sense. Yes it is domestic i am going for, i have put a small board off a henley block for a cooker circuit and a ring main, so expect the usual tests.

How did you isolate before connecting the Henleys

Reply to Stroma Assessment questions in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net