Discuss Stroma take on working during covid 19 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

bigspark17

-
Arms
Reaction score
I know there are alot of threads on the corona virus but this is an email i received from stroma, it might help some of you decide about your personal work situations

Attachments

• Stroma take on working during covid 19 9169F572-B7A0-4EA2-901C-1B16C1B9B6EE - EletriciansForums.net
    9169F572-B7A0-4EA2-901C-1B16C1B9B6EE.png
    248.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Stroma take on working during covid 19 6CD0BE5C-3A35-4715-BAD2-5C99071E75AD - EletriciansForums.net
    6CD0BE5C-3A35-4715-BAD2-5C99071E75AD.png
    251.3 KB · Views: 58
I just read that.
I can't blame Stroma for just reiterating what the Government have said but I really don't think we should be going into peoples homes to work unless it's an emergency. Lots of people will not keep the required 2m and we're bound to touch things within the persons home.

I just read that.
I can't blame Stroma for just reiterating what the Government have said but I really don't think we should be going into peoples homes to work unless it's an emergency. Lots of people will not keep the required 2m and we're bound to touch things within the persons home.
Agree there. Emergencies only for me. Power down, fault or danger, even then dependant upon the situation.

I agree with you guys.

My only real concern is whether our decision to be sensible will come back and bite us when it comes to securing financial assistance. We're not being told to stop work.
Yep. Stung for pulling people out of the ****, eh?

Emergency jobs for us too. Ones we assess an emergency.

Hit home today the fact that if your child has the virus and has to go to hospital in an ambulance then you can’t go with them or visit them.

Hang on a minute. First I cannot accept Stroma/Napit as a guide to work re coronavirus. First they are not competent, second they are a CPS scheme! I just about listen to the gov.uk Lets pan back a second in the best RAMS tradition. Is there a risk? Yes. Who could get harmed and how? Myself and customers as well as innocent bystanders. What could be the harm? Potentially death! What am I going to do about that risk? NOT GO OUT. I can actually figure that out for myself, I certainly don't need stroma and his cousins and uncles telling me how to manage risk. Encouraging people to go out to others homes for non essential work, and saying "yeh it's ok" is all very well, but what if it goes all pearshaped? Risk of death anyone? Weston beach is crowded today a lot of people enjoying the spring sun. Am I missing something here? Am I a fool staying at home? Well it's simple for me if there is a 0.002 risk of dropping dead, I am no way taking that risk.

Well it's simple for me if there is a 0.002 risk of dropping dead, I am no way taking that risk.
In 2018 (latest figures), there were 90.2 persons killed or seriously injured per billion vehicle miles in the UK.

If you do on average 25,000 miles a year, then in any one year there is a 0.2255% chance that you'll be responsible for seriously injuring or killing someone (maybe yourself). Over a 45 year (working) period, that's more than 10%.

I look forward to hearing about how your van sale goes ;)

(just a thought experiment, not having a dig! :) )

Stay indoors , stay safe , save lives.

likewise my ‘risk’ is relatively low something like 0.4% risk of death

do I want to spin the wheel and test the statistics....

err no

Each person has to look at the risks themselves:
  • Are "you" (as in personally or any people you cohabit with) in a high risk group (age, underlying medical issued)?
  • Do "you" care for folk in a high risk group?
If so your answer should be no to any request in order to protect your own.
  • Are "you" showing any symptoms?
  • Have "you" been in recent contact with anyone how did?
  • Are the folk needing the work at high risk?
In these case you definitely not go to work!
  • Is the requested work important (safety issue, ability to cook, etc)?
  • Do you really need the money to survive?
If the answer to either or both is yes then it is up to you to decide if it is worth the risk or not. Everything in life has a risk, including sitting at home doing SFA, and what is OK for one person won't be for another.
My 2p worth!

I think the real point I am making is it is unacceptable for a CPS scheme to offer or parrot advice re an epidemic. It is not really clear how it is transmitted and for this reason even the gov.uk must be viewed with some darkened lens as they are guessing in the dark really. Admittedly a very educated guess but nonetheless proceed with caution, think for yourself. I have a heart condition and live with grandchildren and looking at that risk matrix I wimped out three weeks ago and stayed home. While this was subject to contempt by others on the site I do not care it is my sole provenance to assess what is best for me and mine. Besides which I have had a fab time building a lean to in the garden with this lovely sun just what the doctor ordered methinks.

I agree with you guys.

My only real concern is whether our decision to be sensible will come back and bite us when it comes to securing financial assistance. We're not being told to stop work.

I like decisions like this as the possible outcomes make the decision easy.

Option 1- Continue to work in peoples homes

Pros - You earn money.
Cons - You could infect someone, possibly elderly with a mortality rate of approx 15%.

Option 2 - You stop working in peoples homes unless it's an emergency

Pros - You will not infect anyone
Cons - You will stop earning money and may not be able to have any financial assistance.

I think it's an easy decision.

Now when it comes to deciding whether to crimp or use a wago box I can spend bloody ages scratching my head and getting all worked up! :D

I'm actually half tempted to write an email to NAPIT along the lines of "given you've now advised us we can continue to work in people's homes, I'll expect the area engineer at the agreed time for my annual inspection" and see how that goes down with them.
To be fair they are merely offering an interpretation of the advice being given. In no way are they advising you to go out or not go out. It's not their decision to make. They are simply trying to clarify the actual legal position.

Until the immunity testing is properly rolled out to confirm who has , and hasn’t yet had covid19 is is completely irresponsible to carry on as normal.
Within 2 weeks these tests should be generally available which will be a game changer

Hang on a minute. First I cannot accept Stroma/Napit as a guide to work re coronavirus. First they are not competent, second they are a CPS scheme! I just about listen to the gov.uk Lets pan back a second in the best RAMS tradition. Is there a risk? Yes. Who could get harmed and how? Myself and customers as well as innocent bystanders. What could be the harm? Potentially death! What am I going to do about that risk? NOT GO OUT. I can actually figure that out for myself, I certainly don't need stroma and his cousins and uncles telling me how to manage risk. Encouraging people to go out to others homes for non essential work, and saying "yeh it's ok" is all very well, but what if it goes all pearshaped? Risk of death anyone? Weston beach is crowded today a lot of people enjoying the spring sun. Am I missing something here? Am I a fool staying at home? Well it's simple for me if there is a 0.002 risk of dropping dead, I am no way taking that risk.
Agree. Must admit in the last couple of days I’ve seen more oap’s and couch potatoes out and about in public spaces than would normally..,. and this is out in the sticks where they probably have to space to get out in their own back yards. The go out for exercise statement is unnecessary ., you can get that during your essential shop. If you’re not capable of shopping then I suspect that you are vulnerable and in need of support to stay isolated.

Reply to Stroma take on working during covid 19 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock