Discuss Stuck where to go now?! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I am 18 years old , completed my level 2 & 3 electrical installation city and guilds.
I do not know what to do now as I can’t get an apprenticeship because I’ve done all of the theory side but have no experience. So I am just wondering how I can get experience so I can start building my portfolio. I have just paid for an ecs test So I will hopefully have that in the coming weeks

You can still do an apprenticeship nothing stopping you doing that Callum. As for your portfolio only suggestions are just send emails or phone local companies, register with an agencies and hopefully something will pop up for you.

My son is in a similar position, just got to keep firing out the CV to local companies/ agencies and keep your fingers crossed...

Does seem trickier nowadays with so many people after positions...
We could almost finish one week and start somewhere else the next week when I was fresh out of college.

I keep on hearing on the news about a skills shortage.
Once if you started as an apprentice when you qualified you stayed on with that company for a few years and the company got there return on their investment in training you. But these days there seems a reluctance as when the newly qualified electrician has come out of time they are off chasing the money.

Best thing too do mate is do what im doing same age same position get a part time job buy your tools and advertise yourself for some electrical work facebook is best bet on marketplace you have level 2,3 so your allowed too write a minor certification you just buy the book from cef and fill in your testing info and such easy as that take photos as you go along collect them all buy time youve done that youll have enough money too pay for your level 3 nvq wich is around 2/3 grand a bloke will come out and watch you do some work make sure you follow rules and regulations in your on site guide correct ppe and such once youve got your nvq you need too do your testing and inspection and AM2 then apply for ecs gold card and youll be fully done off your own back for around 22

You could try and get work through am agency as a mate, a little on site experience while earning also

Go self deployed

Do small work for friends , family , the old lady down the road. Save up your money and join a scam.

Then advertise on social media , YouTube channel , sign written van and bigger jobs will slowly come in.

I know plenty people who have done this route some of which now employ a dozen full time sparks / labourers etc

Great oaks come from tiny acorns

Reply to Stuck where to go now?! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock