Discuss supplementary bonding query in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jimbosweed

Hi, i am new to this forum so please excuse me if i havent posted in the right section etc. I am a plumber for my sins, and have always been a bit confused about the laws and regulations on supplementary bonding. Especially nowadays when a lot of plastic pipe and fittings are used. I wanted someone to advise me when sup bonding is required and when not. At the moment i have been advised that sup bonding not required if circuits in hazardous areas are RCD protected? Do you need to sup bond short lengths of visible copper pipe which is connected to plastic pipe? I know that there is lots of different scenarios, but just wanted more of a clear and updated answer. I am grateful of any response. Thanks

it's a little complex to explain in layman's terms. basically, supplementary bonding is not required as long as all extraneous conductive parts are bonded, disconnection times are met, and in the case of a bathroom, RCD protection is fitted, to determine whethe or not a metal pipe or the like is or is not extraneous requires an test from the part in question to the main earthing terminal of the installation. this is done with a "megger" and if the reading is above 22k ohms, then that part is not required to be bonded. bonding a pipe which is not extraneous may give rise to an increased risk of shock.

Thanks for your reply. So basically all exposed pipework in a bathroom would need to be tested with a meggar to see if it is extraneous, and therefore needs bonding?

not necessarily. if you have copper pipe in a bathroom that comes from plastic, then there's no way that it can be connected to earth, so you don't bond it. if , say its all copper, and that copper comes from the rising main, it's already bonded by means of the fact that the cold water intake is bonded by the main bonding.

Thanks again, that seems clear now. so if all pipework is copper, then why do you need to sup bond if the rising main is bonded by the main bonding. Sorry if thats a stupid question!

Where the various copper pipes run in and out of boilers, tanks, valves etc you may not get continuity through the system hence the bonding so the current has some where to flow rather than through you when in contact.

One thing to remember is that all circuits in the bathroom need to be rcd protected in order to leave out supp bonding.
So if say , electric shower and towel heater have rcd , but lights dont , then supplementary bonding is still required.

nah, they're all too busy bonding all the boiler pipes.

Reply to supplementary bonding query in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock