Discuss Supplementary bonding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sevuk

-
Reaction score
I've seen a sink recently which has copper pipe goes out of the toilet to a connection under the floor which is supplied in a non conductive material back to the main shut off valve. The same method is used from the toilet. To me this doesn't require bonding if there is rcd protection, but it did get me thinking. If the pipe work is supplied in copper then changes to plastic then changes to copper again, how long must the copper are we talking before it is deemed an extraneous conductive part that needs to be bonded?

I've seen a sink recently which has copper pipe goes out of the toilet to a connection under the floor which is supplied in a non conductive material back to the main shut off valve. The same method is used from the toilet. To me this doesn't require bonding if there is rcd protection, but it did get me thinking. If the pipe work is supplied in copper then changes to plastic then changes to copper again, how long must the copper are we talking before it is deemed an extraneous conductive part that needs to be bonded?

Thanks, that clears it up.

So if it is above 20,000 ohms to earth its just a piece of metal. Below that it's extraneous, and needs to be bonded if above 1667 ohms.

Thanks, that clears it up.

So if it is above 20,000 ohms to earth its just a piece of metal. Below that it's extraneous, and needs to be bonded if above 1667 ohms.
The 20,000 and 1667 are derived from 2 different calculations.

Yep.

I think I get it. 1667 is the maximum allowed for rcd protection of an extraneous conductive part

The 20,000 ohm rule is based on ohms law allowing meaning you won't get more than a 10mA shock under fault conditions between the bonded pipe work and the "piece of metal"

To put it simply it’s 50v / 0.03= 1667 ohms
50v is the touch voltage and of course 0.03 is 30mA for the said rcd if that’s what protects the circuit

Thanks guys.

I think I fully understand the calculation that gets the 1667, it would be 50v/0.01 if it was a 10mA RCD for instance. (I've only heard of the like integrated into sockets for use in areas used by small children such as nurseries and this wouldn't apply as it only provides protection for the use of portable appliances not the circuit).

What I want to make sure I'm totally clear on is defining a pipe as either extraneous or not.

Reason being is going back to my college days, if a part of a metal water pipe installation went to plastic then back to metal it would need to be bonded again. Which I expect would be still true, but only if the IR test between the pipe and a local known earth was below 22,000 ohms - the assumed 1000 ohms resistance of the human body. Is that correct? Am I mad?

that's correct. the 22k added to the 1k gives a current through the body as 10mA. similar principal to the neon screwdriver that we all love. :eek::eek::eek:

Thanks, this clears it all up.

That reminds me I need to replace my missing volt stick.

I got my 2391 coming up and I'm sure I'll find more electrical theory to drive myself mad over.

Thanks, this clears it all up.

That reminds me I need to replace my missing volt stick.

I got my 2391 coming up and I'm sure I'll find more electrical theory to drive myself mad over.
Best of luck with it

Nothing wrong with any of the blokes in the videos. Haha.

By the way the IR test at 500v or 250v?

Reply to Supplementary bonding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock