Discuss Supplementary bonding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Is the barrier at risk of contact with any other cable or extraneous parts? I guess it is tricky to know if rebar in the concrete is externally earthed, etc.

It is probably not required, but at Mike puts it, if in doubt bond it! Worked fine for the 15th edition after all...

I think the more scientific approach is the check its impedance to the system Earth, if it is below 0.05 ohms or above 22k (I think, need to check) then it is not needed as in the first case can be considered already well-bonded, and in the 2nd case can be considered as not having enough of a potential extraneous path to allow more than a 10mA fault current.

Is the barrier at risk of contact with any other cable or extraneous parts? I guess it is tricky to know if rebar in the concrete is externally earthed, etc.

It is probably not required, but at Mike puts it, if in doubt bond it! Worked fine for the 15th edition after all...

I think the more scientific approach is the check its impedance to the system Earth, if it is below 0.05 ohms or above 22k (I think, need to check) then it is not needed as in the first case can be considered already well-bonded, and in the 2nd case can be considered as not having enough of a potential extraneous path to allow more than a 10mA fault current.
Where do we measure to if on a mcc can I measure from the chassis stud to the extraneous part?

As already said, the correct place is the MET (especially for the low bond impedance check), but for the 22k test then anything you know is on the CPC circuit.
[automerge]1593069936[/automerge]
If far from the MET then you should allow a reasonable increase in the 0.05 ohms test. For example, what might be expected of X meters of 10mm cable as a good indication of a solid bond.

As already said, the correct place is the MET (especially for the low bond impedance check), but for the 22k test then anything you know is on the CPC circuit.
[automerge]1593069936[/automerge]
If far from the MET then you should allow a reasonable increase in the 0.05 ohms test. For example, what might be expected of X meters of 10mm cable as a good indication of a solid bond.
What do we class at the MET of An MCC. I know there’s a resistance between exposed conductive part and extraneous part ( current causing the breaker to trip in 5s divided by the resistance measured should be less than 50v. Just struggling with determining if it’s extraneous or not.

What do we class at the MET of An MCC. I know there’s a resistance between exposed conductive part and extraneous part ( current causing the breaker to trip in 5s divided by the resistance measured should be less than 50v. Just struggling with determining if it’s extraneous or not.

What figure do you get when you test to see if it an extraneous part?

Testing to establish the requirement for supplementary bonding doesn't need to be from the MET and should be done with all other bonding connected, which is somewhat opposite to testing to establish whether main bonding is required.

Testing to establish the requirement for supplementary bonding doesn't need to be from the MET and should be done with all other bonding connected, which is somewhat opposite to testing to establish whether main bonding is required.
So testing if supplementary bonding I could just test from a bonded part of the circuit to the parts of question and then from the values determine if it’s extraneous or not? But main bonding is always measured from the MET is that what you’re saying. Thanks for your help!

although it could get a bit confusing because it could actually be in contact with the Cable tray and you can visually see - some say cable tray doesn't need bonding but I'm sure I've seen in either Regs or OSG tray is a Exposed conductive part and then... you could meet the requirements where no supplementary bonding is needed anyway, please tell if I'm wrong.

Normally tray is neither an extraneous conductive part as it doesn’t introduce an earth potential into the installation and not exposed as it doesn’t form part of the electrical installation as it’s only a cable management system, unless it’s being used as a cpc which is allowed then it is earthed for use as a cpc.
Supplementary bonding maybe required if the earth fault loop impedance cannot be Met for a circuit and the tray is in the location so is supplementary bonded to keep touch voltages bellow 50 v

Well NICEIC would agree

but in my mind it's not less an exposed conductive part in my mind than SWA or trunking.

City and Guilds official source - handout

"Equipotential bonding
BS 7671:2018 (page 29) defines ‘equipotential bonding’ as:
Electrical connection maintaining various exposed-conductive-parts and
extraneous-conductive-parts at substantially the same potential.

When used (as it usually is) for the purpose of safety, it is referred to as ‘Protective equipotential bonding’, which is defined as ‘equipotential bonding for the purpose of safety’ (page 35).

BS 7671:2018 (page 29) further defines ‘Exposed-conductive-parts’ as: Conductive part of equipment which can be touched and which is not normally live,but which can become live under fault conditions.
This includes:
 steel conduit
 steel trunking
steel tray
 steel enclosures of wiring systems"
[automerge]1593183415[/automerge]
it doesn't have to be something used as a CPC - this includes metal face plates and backing boxes

Back to OP

old OSG
"Metal handrails and metal windows not connected to metal parts of the building structure, are not required to be supplementary bonded"

Last edited:
And the IET agree that they don’t need earthing , if you read GN8 tray, basket and the like containing / supporting cables which are insulated and sheathed and fulfill the requirements of double insulation do not require earthing.
You certainly wouldn’t provide protective bonding to them as they are unlikely to be extraneous conductive parts either.
The bottom line is that in most cases they do not form part of the electrical installation

I would totally disagree - with respect you think exposed conductive part is metal part being used as CPC - Exposed conductive part is metal part that is part of the electrical installation but Not the circuit that could become live under fault, just like short circuit I.e from brake down of insulation.

I would totally disagree - with respect you think exposed conductive part is metal part being used as CPC - Exposed conductive part is metal part that is part of the electrical installation but Not the circuit that could become live under fault, just like short circuit I.e from brake down of insulation.
So an insulated and sheathed cable requires break down of both inner insulation and the outer sheath, how does that happen then?
They should be installed for the location , so away from things like impact and the like.
Also the regulations do not list tray as requiring bonding at all, steel conduit and trunking contain single insulated cables so require earthing, metallic enclosures contain single insulated conductors and terminations so require earthing.
Tray with swa cables fixed are unlikely to cause the tray to become live as they have an earthed metallic screen around the conductors.
Tray and basket do not contain cables and in most cases are not exposed conductive parts by definition.
Supplementary bonding E773AFEA-A2F0-431B-9F65-C139447ABA9A - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
ageing? doesn't matter does it

BS7671 page 30 Fault.....
but that's just one example
Ageing is a poor excuse unless it’s VIR cables I have never seen Modern pvc cables break down because of ageing.
Besides Swa has an earthed screen so any degradation of the live conductors and then the inner bedding will make contact with the earthed armour of the cable and disconnect the ocpd and remove any danger, long before the outer pvc insulation can break down.

Last edited:

Reply to Supplementary bonding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock