Discuss Supply cable through separate flat in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Highly

-
Reaction score
Hi all, quick question - I have to replace a lateral supply cable where the existing one runs through the ceiling of the basement flat and up through the floor into a communal hallway to an old Ryefield, feeding 5 properties. The issue is that the building is listed and I'm being told that re-routing through the hallway is out of the question. I was of the thinking that we can't pass through other properties with supply cables. Any ideas?
Cheers

without seeing building layout or plans, it is difficult to advise.
but i think you only have a couple of options.

1. can the cable be repaired instead of replaced? i.e. a damaged section?
2. route the new cable down the same route as the original cable assuming if it was ok when the place was built / rewired, it should still be ok (permissions wise)
3. put 2 or 3 detailed plans in front of building control and ask them which one they would prefer.

p.s. is the ceiling void above one flat and below another flat the property of the lower flat or a shared space for services? it is a bit like the space between one flat and another flats walls, nobody's zone but everyone's at the same time??

without seeing building layout or plans, it is difficult to advise.
but i think you only have a couple of options.

1. can the cable be repaired instead of replaced? i.e. a damaged section?
2. route the new cable down the same route as the original cable assuming if it was ok when the place was built / rewired, it should still be ok (permissions wise)
3. put 2 or 3 detailed plans in front of building control and ask them which one they would prefer.

p.s. is the ceiling void above one flat and below another flat the property of the lower flat or a shared space for services? it is a bit like the space between one flat and another flats walls, nobody's zone but everyone's at the same time??
Aah good shout about the ceiling void i'll see if the management company can get that info in the morning.

1. No chance of repair as the issue is degradation (2 core armoured cloth and rubber).

2. I would prefer the original route but I couldn't get access to the basement flat today and apparently the resident is a complete mare.

3. I've given the management company the options today as it was a life or death emergency then all of a sudden 5pm arrived and everybody (apart from resident's) lost interest.

Thanks for the reply, I'm pinning my hopes on the void now

Ah yes, I get calls about extremely urgent repairs that need sorting today as the business depends on it.

I tell them that I am on a job till 5pm, can get to them between 7 and 8pm if it is desperate.

could count on one hand the amount of times someone has said, I will wait here until you arrive.
more often it’s “we close at 5.30pm, can’t you get here any earlier?”

Reply to Supply cable through separate flat in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net