Discuss Supply that can not be isolated from previous 'dodgey tenant' in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All,

Found this beauty in a rented property.... the landlord has refused to pay for any renovation of the property as he deems it unnecessary, has even refused to pay for the repair leaks in the past etc.... this supply runs down the wall cavity never to be seen again .... when house supply is isolated this is still live. From what I can make out seems like the previous tenant liked to grow 'exotic plants'

Suggested to the tenant to call DNO, however he is apprehensive as he believes the landlord will not foot the bill for any damages as his previous electrician has stated he has made this safe. (the tenant has also just paid for the full redecoration of the below rooms.... whoops)

Told them I would ask around .... has any one had anything like this before? ultimately should the cost of damages (if any) lie with the landlord? ....

Supply that can not be isolated from previous 'dodgey tenant' IMG_4564.PNG - EletriciansForums.net Supply that can not be isolated from previous 'dodgey tenant' IMG_4536.JPG - EletriciansForums.net Supply that can not be isolated from previous 'dodgey tenant' IMG_4537.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

View attachment 46382

Looks like it's picking up a supply from the other end. Have you had a good look at the supply to see if it's been bypassed....external box, maybe.
No onslaught......leave it and, if it is bypassed it's dangerous, so contact DNO and give them your suspicions....or findings.

Last edited:
I await the onslaught........

View attachment 46384

As much as I'd love to take the credit for the volt stick and the destruction of the majority of floor boards in the room am afraid I cant .... pictures sent to me by the plumber before I'd even arrived ...... but please bring on the onslaught anyway I'll pass on the messages.

Looks like it's picking up a supply from the other end. Have you had a good look at the supply to see if it's been bypassed....external box, maybe.
No onslaught......leave it and, if it is bypassed it's dangerous, so contact DNO and give them your suspicions....or findings.

I've explained this as its 100% bypassed ... but what hes worried about if the DNO come in and rip up the floor who bares the brunt of the cost?

I've explained this as its 100% bypassed ... but what hes worried about if the DNO come in and rip up the floor who bares the brunt of the cost?
well if dno damage or rip up floor they have to leave it back in satisfactory condition. between them and landlord that one. if they find the supply has been bypassed illegally they could bill him a large sum of money and the floor will be least of his worries!

As much as I'd love to take the credit for the volt stick and the destruction of the majority of floor boards in the room am afraid I cant .... pictures sent to me by the plumber before I'd even arrived ...... but please bring on the onslaught anyway I'll pass on the messages.
A plumber with a VoltStick now that is a dangerous combination.........

I'm on about finding out WHERE it's bypassed. It could be coming from next door for all we know.
Why would they rip up the floor...….they'll just disconnect. If he doesn't report to DNO, he's the one breaking the law. There's nothing connected so nothing can be proved. All they can do is compare old bills proving nothing.

Last edited:
Phone the DNO yourself, or and the Old Bill if someone is stealing juice, and / or growing Weed it's either theft or a drug related case. You were the last person there, any problems, a fire or injury maybe will be on you as the person to find it, we are, all of us are responsible for ours and others well being, it's dangerous / unsafe so report it the Landlord must be a right rouge, if he want's nothing to do with it, in my humble opinion. just saying.

I will not believe that hasn't been done by anyone but an electrician. Are you sure it isn't feeding back from inside the wall?

This is totally the landlord's problem.... unless the tenant leaves it, then the tenant will get the blame. This also is a potential life threatening situation if live wires are left in this way. If the plumber didn't have a voltstick he could have cut in to the wires thinking that he isolated them... You are now part of the loop as you witnessed the hidden cables.

report it

I may have read this wrong, you have not personally been to site?
Just a call from the plumber and some pictures

I suspect that if you look carefully at the meter and fuse type area then the solution will become apparent.

Just out of interest, you might get an indication of where it’s fed from by measuring the voltage between live on the suspect supply and live from a nearby socket.

400v Definatley next door
230v could be next door or meter bypass
0v plumbers volt stick is over sensitive

Reply to Supply that can not be isolated from previous 'dodgey tenant' in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock