Discuss Supply to consumer unit in shed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

magnoliafan89

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi guys

A friend of mine has an electrician at his place doing some work and hes asked him to put in a supply for his shed. Its a 19metre run would be from one end of the house through the joists under the floorboard and then out into the shed outside. The electrician has ran it with 10mm T and E with a 4mm earth.
My friend hired this bloke but then after work started heard some not so good things about him and asked me if this was ok. Now im not entirely sure so said I couldnt answer it for him. I asked a few lads at work and got a few mixed responses...whats your opinions?

How is the cable protected or supported between the house and the shed?

What do you think is a problem?

Did he receive a certificate?

Did he receive a part P certificate?

How is the cable protected or supported between the house and the shed?

What do you think is a problem?

Did he receive a certificate?

Did he receive a part P certificate?

I dont know if there is a problem hence why i said i couldnt give an answer and me asking others for their opinions. The question being is it the right size cable for the job. As for being supported it comes out the side of the house straight into the shed about 2 metres off the ground.
Hasnt been connected up yet so no certificates issued

Externally is the cable not protected.
Sounds like it's just hanging loose Westy
I dont know if there is a problem hence why i said i couldnt give an answer and me asking others for their opinions. The question being is it the right size cable for the job. As for being supported it comes out the side of the house straight into the shed about 2 metres off the ground.
Hasnt been connected up yet so no certificates issued
What loads are going to be used in the "shed"?

Hi guys

A friend of mine has an electrician at his place doing some work and hes asked him to put in a supply for his shed. Its a 19metre run would be from one end of the house through the joists under the floorboard and then out into the shed outside. The electrician has ran it with 10mm T and E with a 4mm earth.
My friend hired this bloke but then after work started heard some not so good things about him and asked me if this was ok. Now im not entirely sure so said I couldnt answer it for him. I asked a few lads at work and got a few mixed responses...whats your opinions?
Are you an Electrician? why is your mate asking you if it's OK?

Im just an apprentice hence why i didn't want to answer him as it wouldn't be my place. Im only asking others out of curiosity and to get a better understanding myself.
Well done for asking for advice, from what you have said about the cable coming out of the house straight into the shed without any support or protection, makes me think your mate is right to be concerned, the load required will help with cable sizing.

Well done for asking for advice, from what you have said about the cable coming out of the house straight into the shed without any support or protection, makes me think your mate is right to be concerned, the load required will help with cable sizing.

He'll be running power tools lights maybe a few pillar drills and sockets etc.

He'll be running power tools lights maybe a few pillar drills and sockets etc.
Will there be any other services in the shed, water, gas, oil, compressed air etc. The reason for asking is that if there are any services in the shed other that the electrical supply additional bonding may be required and the CPC in the 10mm2 will not be sufficient.

Last edited:
Are you questioning the install method, the CCC of the cable or the suitability of the CPC?

some ones fishing reading this post
Yes thw
Are you questioning the install method, the CCC of the cable or the suitability of the CPC?
Who me? or someone else, perhaps next time you have a question you could include the thread or post you are questioning just to make it easier for all to understand what exactly you are questioning. If it's my #12 then, I'm merely saying that if there are any other metallic services in the shed the cpc as is, may need further investigation size wise for bonding purposes.

im essentially questioning whether this is the right size cable for the job as I have no idea and as already stated i have had mixed responses that havent really been fully explained was hoping someone on here would be able to just share wisdom. People on here have already given thoughts on the install method which i appreiciate.
As for the fishing part no im not im just after some advice, knowledge anything you guys can give so that i can learn more.

Yes thw

Who me? or someone else, perhaps next time you have a question you could include the thread or post you are questioning just to make it easier for all to understand what exactly you are questioning. If it's my #12 then, I'm merely saying that if there are any other metallic services in the shed the cpc as is, may need further investigation size wise for bonding purposes.

The OP. If it was someone else further down I would have quoted their post.

im essentially questioning whether this is the right size cable for the job as I have no idea and as already stated i have had mixed responses that havent really been fully explained was hoping someone on here would be able to just share wisdom. People on here have already given thoughts on the install method which i appreiciate.
As for the fishing part no im not im just after some advice, knowledge anything you guys can give so that i can learn more.
Your Mates best bet is to employ a qualified registered Domestic Installer or Electrician, of which there are myriads on the net, in the local rag.

Tell the said person what load they anticipate is required and add say 10% get them to plan the job carry out the work, certificate the work notify building control, job done every one will be happy, although your Mate may be a bit miffed at the difference in cost, between Fred down the Pub and a bonafide Electrician.

At least this way, your Mate will have some form of insurance that the job has been done correctly.

Lessons learned : don't trust Fred down the pub, cheap is NOT always Best

Reply to Supply to consumer unit in shed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net