Discuss Supply to summer house TT system in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Russ43

-
Reaction score
Hi all , this is my first post , i’m a qualified electrician but I spend my whole time sub contracting to a factory installing and moving machinery so i’m a bit out of touch ( although taking the 18th on may 3rd ) with domestic work! A friend has asked for a supply to his summer house so I took a quick look and ordered the bits , I’d like to point out there was a lot of clutter around the mains area ! It turns out it’s a tt system i’ve installed a lewden 63a switched fused with 10mm 3 core swa 30 metre run to a lewden garage unit 32a ring and 6a lts, the system isn’t running yet but I’m thinking i’m gonna have to install an s type rcd at the house end and an earth stake at the summer house, I haven’t taken a ze yet , i’m trying to get a definitive answer from the regs but other people’s view would be appreciated! Cheers Russ

sounds like a plan there.delay RCD house end additional rod/s at summer house. 30mA RCD in summer house (as main switch?)

Yeah , the garage unit has an rcd main switch so that’s sorted , I can’t believe what a pain in the arse a tt system is , I used to work for SSE and when you talk to the older lads they always said a TT system was the safest but the protection required makes you wonder!

no way is TT the safest. fault currents are generally far too low to take out a fuse, this is why we need to fit RCDs for fault protection. a nice sub 0.3 ohms on a TN-S is my fac=vourite choice. TNC-S is good till you lose N on the DNO sullpy.

Literally all you need to do is wop the main switch out of the switch fuse and stick the type S in there and your good to go, good practice to have used a gland to secure the tails into that too

Just had a thought , i’m gonna take the Rcd from the garage unit in the shed and put it in the fused isolater and have the main switch in the shed job done ! Also gonna swap the tails for 25mm as thats a note on a periodic!

You can only swap components if they are compatible with the enclosure. Don't go making ad hoc replacements it will not be compliant to the Regulations.

You don't need an additional rod at the summer house end, it is compliant to use the rod at the supply end. However an additional rod will bring down the Ra and provide a more reliable earthing system. It's common for electrode connections to come adrift or be cut. Less chance of that with two.

You don't need an additional rod at the summer house end, it is compliant to use the rod at the supply end. However an additional rod will bring down the Ra and provide a more reliable earthing system. It's common for electrode connections to come adrift or be cut. Less chance of that with two.

Installing a rod at the remote end improves the overall effectiveness of the earth nest as you have a wider contiguous connected area.

Sorry just read back through about the tails , I meant I had put 16mm tails to supply the switched fuse but if someone came to test the installation as a whole they would pick it up so i’ll change them to 25

Reply to Supply to summer house TT system in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock