Discuss Supplying electric 400 metres away in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

hazelm

Does anyone have experience of providing a 63A supply from the meters to two separate buildings some 400 metres away.

Armoured cable will be used in underground ducting to two buildings about 50 metres apart from each other. These buildings will be on reclaimed ground from the sea with the sea just a couple of metres away. The building should never get flooded. Earthing solutions are sought as the gound is piled rock therefore earth rods need to be driven into the sea bed.

Would anyone like the challenge of plans?

That would be a nice challenge. What are these buildings retail outlets residential, catering or something else. Only ask as there maybe other standards to consider.

Also depending on the use and loading, I know you said 63 amp supply, then that distance with type of laod will determine your cable size.

Section 709 would also be a good guide for you, though specifically for marinas also relates to similar locations and these sort of environments

I see your thinking of using SWA, well in a marine type environment this is one of the few times I would advocate using an extra core inside the SWA for a CPC, I just think that the environment can be to harsh for a SWA CPC

Finally for the earthing I would be looking at something similar to Ufer earthing, utilizing the foundations if they are concrete for your earth arrangements.

The reclaimed land was built 200 years ago and it is a carriageway, a listed building, going between two headlands close to the sea. The alternative is a journey of up to 30 minutes to get between the two headlands. Because of my company's business, we do not need planning permission for the buildings.

The buildings are sort of offices used for monitoring purposes.

The load has been calculates at 58A which is why we are looking at 63A supply. Thanks for your idea of the extra core for the earth but would the earth potential voltage be a lot different between the meter buildings and the proposed new buildings? There is just under 400m of made up land using rocks to gain the height. Probably 300m is a sea wall.

It is an unusual project - almost unique - as I do not think that using concrete which would be on a rock formation would be suitable. The rock under the concrete would dry out in dry weather thus reducing the efficiency of the earthing.

Any constructive suggestions welcome.

Also, as this is for a charity, is anyone interested in it?

Maybe a challenge for a college..............

It is a one mile causeway with a road running alongside between two headlands, the causeway having been built some 200 years ago and I am not aware of the causeway having been breached by the sea.

The land protected by the causeway would have been under the sea had this not been built.

I should have said:

Maybe a challenge for a college in their electrical technical department!!!!!

My company will be buying the necessary cables and fittings!!!!!!!!!!

It is virtually impossible to design a concept on a forum by word of mouth but I'm assuming that the 400mtr supply run to this building is in SWA ................ This I would most likely if it was single phase use a 2 core and the SWA as "earthed". This would ensure that when you get to the outlying building the original earth at supply will be isolated from your TT supply as you are planning.

Though saying this, is there a reason you are not thinking about exporting the equipotential zone? It is only the metal work of boats that can not be connected to a PME, permanent buildings can be. So do these meters have a TN earthing system?

I work in a desert here and if there is any place that is drier I like to know, so Ufer earthing would not be a problem

im intrigued! id be happy conferring with a few of us on here to see if we could come up with a workable solution. Forst of all, could you prove that this is a charity, who are you in this organisation, and photos, existing load calcs ect please?

Another drip feed of a question, can we just have the full details ?, what project, what charity, for whom,when,WHERE ?, supply characteristics of the feeding supply TT, TNCS or TNS ? what's going in the building ( Services ? ) can we export the earth ?
Give us details

ive just ran it through a cable calc program i have, and its come up with 120mm as lenny said, but this is based on a few assumptions.

That is why it is crucial to have specs for something like this Lenny, I can't for the life of me see an office building having a total load of 58amps, unless it was a 3 story office block.

I don't think I would suggest a single phase supply with a 60amp load over 400mts, it is just not economical it would have to go to 3 phases

Reply to Supplying electric 400 metres away in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock