Discuss SWA cable , TT, do i need an earth conductor in the cable? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
At the origin the installation is TT.
Plan is to install a submain to a new db. Not carried out all the calcs yet, but my question is does the swa require an earth conductor in the cable.
Basically planning on running a phase and neutral or perhaps even 2 x phases and neutral.(the cable will be run long distance so thinking of reducing costs by not having a cpc conductor) I plan to rod at both ends and bond the swa sheathing at both ends. Providing my cable meets below the max zs for the mcb, the ze is permitted value, volt drop, and current carrying capacity, and backed up by the appropriate rcd to meet appropriate dissconnection times, am i complying?
For extra information the cable will be in the region of 70mm or 95mm at a guess, not yet calculated.

Doubt you'll get a Zs for an OCPD. If you have an electrode at both ends then the (2 core)SWA armouring will just need earthing as a conductive part and will not be a cpc for the distribution circuit, it can however be used to link the two electrodes and will bring down the overall Ra. Use an S type time delay at the supply end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just use the armour as a CPC. Ensure it is not connected at the load end to maintain separation.

Just use the armour as a CPC. Ensure it is not connected at the load end to maintain separation.
i read OP as it's TT at origin, so Ze and hence Zs will probably be way too high for ADS.

Good point, I was raging at my NIC software at the time so missed that tiny, but pertinent, bit of information...
Are you trying to download Cliks new 18th software? Spent a torrid 2 hrs this afternoon only to find on finally getting there it wont run on the OS on the laptop I use on site.....(vista!!)….I know, ancient but it ran the previous version just fine. So after the 18th course, all the new books,now gotta buy a new laptop. How the ---- are we supposed to earn a living...……….

Are you trying to download Cliks new 18th software? Spent a torrid 2 hrs this afternoon only to find on finally getting there it wont run on the OS on the laptop I use on site.....(vista!!)….I know, ancient but it ran the previous version just fine. So after the 18th course, all the new books,now gotta buy a new laptop. How the ---- are we supposed to earn a living...……….
Can’t you just buy a copy of Windows 7?

Could do but I wouldn't want to do the install myself, by the time I've paid for the software and someone to set it up I may as well just get a new laptop with windows 10.

Is that still the Beta or the update?

Annoyingly it's going to cost my place around £600 a year with all the additional licenses. I'm tempted to start using Word templates, enough of being screwed over by various companies and CPSs...

Is that still the Beta or the update?

Annoyingly it's going to cost my place around £600 a year with all the additional licenses. I'm tempted to start using Word templates, enough of being screwed over by various companies and CPSs...
Cant download any new ecerts until V2 of the software is installed, and existing unused certs are not valid after the 31st. It did install ok but needs windows 7 or above to run. A call to Clik support confirmed. Should have expected it really as Vista hasn't been supported by MS for a long time, but the old software ran fine on the on-site laptop so no issues until now.

thats great, just what i thought, thanks guys. One other thing, spinlondon mentioned not to use swa sheath as bonding. I understand because the swa sheath may not have the minimum surface area and thus minimum cpc would be too small. But say if the far DB had for example a 10mm onto a near by incoming water pipe, wouldn't this be classed as okay if the far db has its own rod , with correct size earth to it and a suitable loop reading? whats your thoughts?

Reply to SWA cable , TT, do i need an earth conductor in the cable? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock