Discuss SWA CW Glands - Sealing Advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Carl_C

Hi,

One of our installers has completed a jobwithout fitting the fibre washers to the SWA CW cable glands.
As such we have been snagged by our client fornot meeting required IP rating.

The system is now operational and there is alarge number of cables and glands.
It is going to be a massive job to disconnect,remove, fit washer and re-gland.

Does any one know if there is anything availablethat will allow us to seal the glands without having to fully remove?
Unlikely I know but need to explore alloptions.

Thanks,

Carl

Were the glands IP66? I think CW glands come in different IP ratings what IP rating was specified on that particular installation?. Is the missing washer between the gland and the gland plate?

A standard CW gland doesn't have a fibre washer with it, is this something extra your client had specified?

Unfortunately if fibre washers were specified then they probably won't accept anything else. If it is to seal where the gland meets the gland plate/threaded entry you might be able to take a leaf out of the plumbers book and use hemp & sealant in there?

Standard gland threads are IP54. The use of a thread washer (normally red fibre or nylon) increases the ingress protection to IP66. What IP rating did the client specify? If they specified an ingress protection rating of IP66 and the use of a washer to achieve it then unfortunately it looks like you will have to install the washers.

All,

Thanks for your responses.

The glands fitted are CW type (IP54).
Our clients specification is that IP ratingmatches that of the equipment it is glanded into (in this case IP65 junctionboxes).
To reach IP65 we have to fit the washers (or asI had hoped an equivalent).

Unfortunately verification was done by a thirdparty (who won’t be used again) and this was not picked up.

We are going to have to bite the bullet anddisconnect all cables and fit fibre washers.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Kind Regards,

Carl

All,

Our clients specification is that IP ratingmatches that of the equipment it is glanded into (in this case IP65 junctionboxes).

Unfortunately verification was done by a thirdparty (who won’t be used again) and this was not picked up.

We are going to have to bite the bullet anddisconnect all cables and fit fibre washers.

Kind Regards,

Carl

Oh dear! How many glands?

All,

Kind Regards,

Carl

Carl, CW glands are IP66 rated.
Are these junction boxes threaded cable entry holes or clearance holes?
If you have more than 5 threads or 6mm engaged then the IP sealing washer may not be required.
I know that a standard pack of CW glands do not come with sealing washers but still state IP66 on the pack due the seal of the back nut of the gland.
I do come across this scenario often while carring out periodic inspections on ex rated equipment.
What brand of glands have been used and what make of junction box?
Also, avoid red fibre washers and go for nylon if it turns out they need fitting after all.

Reply to SWA CW Glands - Sealing Advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net