Discuss SWA in drain permissable? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

dksanders

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been asked to get a supply for a car park PIR light across the car park entrance from the existing light. The only way across would be by running the SWA cable in a drain that runs across the driveway (see picture).

Is there any reason that I shouldn't do that? I can't think of any regulation of the top of my head that prohibits it.

TIA

SWA in drain permissable? HOJpPu4ERieQsG7d7xtvv - EletriciansForums.net SWA in drain permissable? +KLbPQMwTt6IHHEQfCx+IA - EletriciansForums.net

A drain is for drainage and not for cable runs as far as I’m concerned.
It’s a bit rough I’d say as I don’t like the idea of water in contact and maybe covering the cable.
Also proximity to other services although not water pipes I wouldn’t do it.

Compacted debris will build up over time, and traffic will compress it into the SWA...sharp gravel, sand, general grit and debris...doesn't look like a great idea...
however, running it in a steel conduit?

maybe run it in some heavy gauge plastic ducting.

It looks like that drain is starting to break up anyway. The cement is cracking around it. Not a good future for the cable. Maybe use it and dig deeper than. But regs say 450mm don't they?

I'd be tempted to break out the concrete one side of that drain, lay the swa in some plastic ducting, then concrete over. You may find that existing concrete breaks out really easily, and at least then the cable can be withdrawn/replaced easily in the future.

Hi - I wouldn't do it - I could reasonably foresee the gully needing cleaning out and or collapsing. And then there's the warning tape ...

A drain is for drainage and not for cable runs as far as I’m concerned.
It’s a bit rough I’d say as I don’t like the idea of water in contact and maybe covering the cable.
Also proximity to other services although not water pipes I wouldn’t do it.

There are no other services in the drain

Hi - I wouldn't do it - I could reasonably foresee the gully needing cleaning out and or collapsing. And then there's the warning tape ...

isn't warning tape only required when the cable is buried? as the cable would be sat in the bottom of the concrete trench and protected by the cast covers, it's totally visible.

It looks like that drain is starting to break up anyway. The cement is cracking around it. Not a good future for the cable. Maybe use it and dig deeper than. But regs say 450mm don't they?

they say 450mm if buried
Not deep enough?
I meant the drain is the service

My interpretation of that description is services as being i.e. water (as in pipes), gas, electrical, data, telephone, but certainly not a gulley for water to drain through; am I wrong?

Compacted debris will build up over time, and traffic will compress it into the SWA...sharp gravel, sand, general grit and debris...doesn't look like a great idea...
however, running it in a steel conduit?

Once over the other side, I was going to run the cable in 20mm galvanised conduit, I suppose I could do that in the drain as well.

Reply to SWA in drain permissable? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock