Discuss Switch feed lighting circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wanted to clear up how to wire a switch feed light circuit.

Ov we have our power in and power out at the light switch.

We then have the live to common and also another live at common for our power out.

We have the neutral in a chop block for power in, power out and To the lamp 3 in total

We then have a live from the lamp to L1

We have the earth in and out in the earth terminal inside the switch

Is that the correct way to wire a switch feed light circuit?

If I understand you correnty. You want to have the loop in at the switch.
So you have brought the live and neutral feed to the switch and then you have a live a neutral from the switch going to your light?

If that is correct then the way you have described the wiring would appear to be correct but I do not know why you need 3 CHOC blocks.

The live feed in goes direct onto COM on the switch.
The earths will go on the earth terminal on the back box (or on the earth terminal on the switch if its a metal one.
The switched live out to the light will go on L1 on the switch.

That leaves you with the neutral in and out. Those two go together in a bit of CHOC block.

Simples!

And wouldn't we a neutral going the the lamp also combined at the chop block with the other two neutrals

If I understand you correnty. You want to have the loop in at the switch.
So you have brought the live and neutral feed to the switch and then you have a live a neutral from the switch going to your light?

If that is correct then the way you have described the wiring would appear to be correct but I do not know why you need 3 CHOC blocks.

The live feed in goes direct onto COM on the switch.
The earths will go on the earth terminal on the back box (or on the earth terminal on the switch if its a metal one.
The switched live out to the light will go on L1 on the switch.

That leaves you with the neutral in and out. Those two go together in a bit of CHOC block.

Simples!

Hager lightswitches have a spare Neutral terminal built into the switch, maybe other brands (likely are some others around) should start doing the same thing.

And wouldn't we a neutral going the the lamp also combined at the chop block with the other two neutrals

I'm still trying to understand you.

Do I now understand that you have
one cable = a live and nuetral in
one cable = live and neutral out to another light/switch
one cable = switched live and neutral going to the light itself?

If so then the live in and out go to com on the switch
the switched live goes to L1 on the switch

If so then, yes, you'll have all the neutrals together in a CHOC block (not a chop block please, a chop block is what the butcher beheads chickens on)

Blimey, this is hard work, Paul. I am rather worried about YOU.
Back in April you said you were doing your C&G, not worried about your <ELECSA> assesment and
I feel I am competent now

Mate, wiring up a light to a switch is about the most simple thing you could do as an electrician.
I would abandon all thoughts of going for assessment for a very long time.

Hi guys,

Just wanted to clear up how to wire a switch feed light circuit.

Ov we have our power in and power out at the light switch.

We then have the live to common and also another live at common for our power out.

We have the neutral in a chop block for power in, power out and To the lamp 3 in total

We then have a live from the lamp to L1

We have the earth in and out in the earth terminal inside the switch

Is that the correct way to wire a switch feed light circuit?

I think the short answer here is: Yes.

Reply to Switch feed lighting circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock