Discuss Telephone point extension in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all i am not sure if this is the correct place for this question.

I am to install a phone point down the hall in a mates house but he has virgin media and the phone line comes off the router.

i was thinking of taking a basic 5 meter extension lead and pluging the male end into the router but cutting the female and putting that into a phone point on the wall..

my question is would this work, and what colours would go into what terminal on the phone point. i know its probably not the best way to do ot but i think it will be quicest and its all going to be hidden in cupboards so dont have to look at it.

Thanks

the router will come of the master and then take off that .
images

Welcome to the forum mate.
I have not known a phone line can be connected to the router. They are usually connected to a phone socket, as described in this link.
If they have an existing phone socket that is working could you not just wire off this for the additional phone socket?

The colours are fairly non standard when it comes to pre made extension leads.

You could try and use a multimeter to find out which pin on the plug end is which wire, but really fiddly. Pins are too small.

You might find that the cable only has 2 cores... in that case, connect to 2 and 5 in the extension socket.

Yes Virgin Phones are connected from the Hub if it's HUB 3 and in certain areas, Virgin Purple zone.
I've recently changed back to Virgin from B.T.
The socket in the Hub is USA style RJ11, of course and Virgin use an adapter RJ11 plug to BT 6pin socket.

As above colours are all over the place just check you've got 2 and 5 from Virgin BT adapter going to 2 and 5 in the socket.

Virgin now only use a single coax from the outside wall box.
There's a splitter in the coax just after the wall socket to TIVO TV box and to HUB.
I was originally Diamond cable, which sold out to NTL which sold to Virgin so my wiring is Coax from the street. I left NTL before it was Virgin.
Virgin used the existing wiring.

I believe it may be Fibre to outside box on new installs but not Fibre to hub. That's not needed untill they get to 1000mbps
I'm on 500, and get 260 on a good day 180 on a bad day.

P.S it only took B.T 2 weeks to port the existing number to Virgin, should have been done on the Virgin install day AND it was already an NTL / VIRGIN phone number being diverted to B.T

DSC_0221[1].JPG

Last edited:

Reply to Telephone point extension in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net