Discuss Tennis court lighting in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

I have been asked to quote for an LED lighting upgrade to 2 x outdoor tennis courts. The existing metal halide lights are mounted on lamp posts, 6 per court. Could someone please advise on an appropriate amount of lumens per LED light and any preferred brands?

The tennis courts are for the local village community and are only really used in the spring and summer months.

Thank you in advance

What wattage/lumens are the existing metal halides? Surely If they are happy with them you would want to match them as closely as you can. Remember metal halides are a much wider spread of light than leds so that's something to check, don't want dark spots running after a tiny ball.

If you are lucky you might be able to get an LED manufacturer / supplier to specify suitable fittings. If you can identify the existing fittings and/or installation positions, their applications engineer might be able to use their photometric data and CIBSE recommended levels to work it out exactly.

Not sure about England but here Bell with come out and design your lighting and tell you what you need for your requirements if you commit to buying their product, not sure if there is a minimum limit on this though.

Not sure about England but here Bell with come out and design your lighting and tell you what you need for your requirements if you commit to buying their product, not sure if there is a minimum limit on this though.

They also have a convenient lighting design calculator available online, but not much help to the OP as it doesn't include this type of installation.

As others have said there are companys that will design for you . Call your wholesaler you normally use and they should be able to recommend one. Just to add you want to check what is used In the bottom of the post to terminate the cables. I've seen a lot of bodge jobs with poor detracted connections.

What wattage/lumens are the existing metal halides? Surely If they are happy with them you would want to match them as closely as you can. Remember metal halides are a much wider spread of light than leds so that's something to check, don't want dark spots running after a tiny ball.
I'd say they are around 250W MH's, they are fairly low grade courts and not used all that much so it doesn't need to be like a professional club court in terms of lighting, just enough for a few hours of play on the odd evening.

As others have said there are companys that will design for you . Call your wholesaler you normally use and they should be able to recommend one. Just to add you want to check what is used In the bottom of the post to terminate the cables. I've seen a lot of bodge jobs with poor detracted connections.
Yes spoken with CEF and they have recommended the below, however I don't feel 100W x 6 will be sufficient, I shall contact a manufacturer for a lighting design and take it from there.

Have a look at these, i think you will be up at the 150 - 250W range..

Yes spoken with CEF and they have recommended the below, however I don't feel 100W x 6 will be sufficient, I shall contact a manufacturer for a lighting design and take it from there.
Don't trust what cef staff say, in my experience their knowledge is incredibly poor and they really don't care, ask them if any of the vrands they sell offer a design service also if your struggling.

Don't just speak to the man behind the counter You need a lighting designer to go out and do a survey. Cef should be able to recommend one so they can sell you the lights . You will need to know is the tennis court going to be use for torlements. As this will demand specific light level.

Have a look at these, i think you will be up at the 150 - 250W range..
I was going to say that probably 150W LED is closer to 250W MH but also agree with Lucian that light coverage needs consideration. It might be better to put in 2*75W or similar at each point so the beams can be spread a little.

Simultaneous switching is no more onerous so existing set up should be fine.

Reply to Tennis court lighting in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net