Discuss Tesla equipment advice..? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Guys

On my list is sorting this right old mess out, along with a DB upgrade.

Question is anything I need to aware about with this Tesla set up, guessing some sort battery set up 🤔 (not come across one yet)
So I dont blow myself up and/ or mess up any of it upđź’Ąđź’Ą

Thanks Sy

Tesla equipment advice..? IMG_5191 - EletriciansForums.netTesla equipment advice..? IMG_5192 - EletriciansForums.net

Isolate it like you would a solar inverter, there should be lots of labels alarming the dangers of alternative supplies :) . However when you do, expect a call from Elon asking"what the 8uck are you doing, leave it alone", lol
That's my slight concern... nothing obvious at DB location labels or isolation.
All I can see is rotary iso next to the 'outside unit.'
Looking back at my photos possibly 'inside unit' is plugged in to a 13a socket below🤔🤔

Anyone know how these actually work...
Would I be correct in thinking if there's an external power cut it's a back up ?
Like a UPS for whole property

This is the blind leading the blind, as I've only fitted one Zappi PV system. Can you find a manual?
But in terms of concepts....

Think of a normal supply and consumer unit.
Normally either
1) a way of the consumer unit will go off to the inverter (not great design).
2) there will be split tails and a separate consumer unit and a circuit going off to the inverter (the right way).

DC electricity falls from the sky onto the panels using witchcraft, and the inverter turns it in AC and back-feeds it into the supply using the same connection referred to above.
The batteries get charged when there is "spare" generation that the installation usage can't swallow. The batteries let themselves be used in a moderated way so the stored energy contributes to the supply.

But basically it should be one connection via a consumer unit to the whole shebang which both powers the inverter and accepts the generated / stored electricity.

As far as I'm aware inverters actually have to shut down if the grid supply is lost. So if there is a power cut you still have a power cut (which must be rather frustrating!).

In that installation I'd start by analysing the normal supply, consumer units, and final circuits, and that will lead you by elimination to how it's connected - I'm sensing that convention may not have been followed!
Be aware that the DC lines from the panels can be live at all times, and hopefully you will find an isolator for them somewhere.
That looks such a mess that I'd be in ultra-suspicious mode!

This is the blind leading the blind, as I've only fitted one Zappi PV system. Can you find a manual?
But in terms of concepts....

Think of a normal supply and consumer unit.
Normally either
1) a way of the consumer unit will go off to the inverter (not great design).
2) there will be split tails and a separate consumer unit and a circuit going off to the inverter (the right way).

DC electricity falls from the sky onto the panels using witchcraft, and the inverter turns it in AC and back-feeds it into the supply using the same connection referred to above.
The batteries get charged when there is "spare" generation that the installation usage can't swallow. The batteries let themselves be used in a moderated way so the stored energy contributes to the supply.

But basically it should be one connection via a consumer unit to the whole shebang which both powers the inverter and accepts the generated / stored electricity.

As far as I'm aware inverters actually have to shut down if the grid supply is lost. So if there is a power cut you still have a power cut (which must be rather frustrating!).

In that installation I'd start by analysing the normal supply, consumer units, and final circuits, and that will lead you by elimination to how it's connected - I'm sensing that convention may not have been followed!
Be aware that the DC lines from the panels can be live at all times, and hopefully you will find an isolator for them somewhere.
That looks such a mess that I'd be in ultra-suspicious mode!
Thanks Tim appreciate you help ;-)

With battery systems like Tesla and Sonnen, there is the option of running off grid with the correct equipment. So yes it could be set up to run like a UPS. I noticed a second Tesla panel under the CU, this could be the device that allows the house (or more likely certain ccts ) to be kept live running on batteries when there is a power cut. Either way the Rot isolater next to the powerwall outside needs to be Off if you want to feel safe.
If you get the covers off the Tesla panel under the CU you should be able to trace some circuits to see what it is doing. The Tesla is most likely also "online" as joked about before, client probably has the App, so at least when you have done and power it all back again you can check it is online and working.
Hope this helps
P&S

Reply to Tesla equipment advice..? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock