Discuss Test & Replace non-energized wires in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gyolll

DIY
Reaction score
I have an outdoor GFCI that has never worked since I moved into my house- I thought the receptacle just needed to be replaced but when I tested the wiring with a multimeter I found that the wiring isn't energized. I suspect that the GFCI is the last outlet on my kitchen circuit because it's on the exterior wall of the kitchen and because that last outlet indoors has wiring running off somewhere downstream, but I don't know for sure.

If the GFCI is actually downstream of the last indoor receptacle, I think that'd indicate an issue with the wiring feeding the GFCI, which seems strange. Is there a way to prove this when I can't get any power at the GFCI?

Tests I've done:

1. Turn off all power to the house, remove the GFCI, turn power back on to all breakers, test the voltage on the wires in the GFCI box (no energy)

2. Repeat above but with the last indoor receptacle swapped with one upstream to make sure there's nothing wrong with the last indoor receptacle.

Reply to Test & Replace non-energized wires in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I have a small power washer with a two-wire cord and GFCI plug. My outdoor and garage receptacles are on a "house GFCI" circuit, wired in series...
Replies
Views
I am about to install two electrical receptacle outlets above a kitchen countertop. 50+ years ago, the original house wiring had no outlets there...
Replies
Views
Extremely low voltage on 120v line Hi, I’m not an electrician but my home has 20 amp breaker that has only one outdoor outlet on it with a GFCI...
Replies
Views
Recently moved into a house from the 70s. There's no ceiling light in the living room. Assuming the switch for the room was to one of the outlets...
Replies
Views
I am going to be replacing two AFCI breakers after a lightning strike in a house built in 2003. I will be bringing the breakers with me to ensure...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock