Discuss Thatched wiring - ways to make safer in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks - I do check for volts before doing ANY amateur electrical work 👀
A related aside.....our electrician does appear quite keen to NOT do any changes, because he would then have to ensure the entire cottage is up to current specs....
.....although he is quite happy for me to change things where needed.

Simple example - he is not keen on sockets with USB built in - they are permanently on, will clearly add a little resistance, and (in his view!) are often cheap items subject to failing. We have three dotted about the cottage - handy for guests to plug into - but he suggested that whilst he might have them at home, he would always discourage them in a holiday cottage. I will probably change them out (anyone strongly disagree with him?).

I wonder how many people perhaps use 2 sparkys - one for the certification, one to actually do work 🤣
I type the smiling emoji, but I am semi-serious......

A sparky that does work should always certify whatever they do….. but only the circuits they have worked on.

You can get any sparky to do an EICR, which is a report (not a certificate) on the condition of the electrics of the property, covering as many circuits as you want.

It’s not normal for one spark to do work, then a different one to certify the first ones work.

USB sockets; I used to think they were cheap and nasty… but I’ve fitted one in my own house, plus a number for customers over the last few years and never had a failure.

Thanks @littlespark
So if you did something on one part of a house, are you NOT liable for ensuring the rest of the property was brought up to current standards?
He was suggesting he would have to 🤷‍♂️
No.
He only has to ensure that his work is up to current regs….

For example, when RCDs first came into the equation, many electricians added a second mini consumer unit to cover what they were adding or working on, leaving the older fuse board untouched.

I still here it all the time on site that once a sparks touches any part of the old wiring we suddenly become responsible for ALL the wiring in the property

THis is simply not the case

Its like saying a mechanic changes your break pads and is now responsible for the workings of the entire car

USB sockets; I used to think they were cheap and nasty… but I’ve fitted one in my own house, plus a number for customers over the last few years and never had a failure.
You can get cheap & nasty for sure, just look to fleabay, etc. But the better brands of sockets ought to be fine.

I vaguely remember some had switching so isolated if no USP inserted (as opposed to live all the time) but don't remember the brand(s).

I vaguely remember some had switching so isolated if no USP inserted (as opposed to live all the time) but don't remember the brand(s).

Think MK produced a shuttered grid unit that isolated when shutter was closed.

Would be great if manufacturers could produce usb outlets that only powered the transformer when plug was inserted.

i bet there are thousands of proper charging adaptors plugged and left switched on across the country. Even the lead plugged in. Just no device on the end.
Indeed they are :(

Fire brigade, etc, all advise to switch off when unused. Saves a small bit of electricity cost as well, and no doubt makes the device last slightly longer. But that requires folks to think and act.

I admit that I thought they did not draw power if not plugged in, bit of thought now makes me think otherwise, 🥴 the step down transformer or whatever it is must draw some power. 🤔 Wonder how much power a shaver socket uses over a year. 😱

I doubt they use much power, probably only a couple of quid a year.

Working on £1 is about 3.3 kWh, then 3300/(24*365.25) = 0.376 W = 1.64 mA if anyone can be bothered to measure it.

If it were not for folks charging toothbrushes overnight I would say just put it on the switched lighting circuit.
That’s what I mean.
It’s only two toothbrushes that need charged once a week or something. That’s in the en-suite.

The socket in the main bathroom never gets used.

The twin sockets in the main bedroom behind the bed are now inadequate, electric blanket, bedside light and phone charging on both sides, never thought that would happen when installing thirty years ago, time to get the tools out,😱 mobile phone was a brick that you carried around with a handset on top, I remember talking to someone on the centre island in the Kings Road (only place to get a signal) and having to say hang on a bus is coming we will be cut off. 🥴

Last edited:
The twin sockets in the main bedroom behind the bed are now inadequate, electric blanket, bedside light and phone charging on both sides, never thought that would happen when installing thirty years ago, time to get the tools out,😱 mobile phone was a brick that you carried around with a handset on top, I remember talking to someone on the centre island in the Kings Road (only place to get a signal) and having to say hang on a bus is coming we will be cut off. 🥴
here

It's funny how quickly technology changes. But although technology has changed a lot over the past thirty years, some things have remained the same. For example, the fact that we still need tools when we want to make changes to our home. 😉

It's funny how quickly technology changes. But although technology has changed a lot over the past thirty years, some things have remained the same. For example, the fact that we still need tools when we want to make changes to our home. 😉
Or a tradesman you can trust.

I'm just about halfway though fitting usb sockets one each side of the beds in holiday cottages 13 in the one house all on one ring final. :)

Last edited:
That would depend on how often you use the shaver.
A more pertinent question would be, how much electricity does a shaver socket use, when it’s NOT being used….

Is there any wastage, just leaving it connected with nothing plugged in?

Same question with a usb socket… if nothing plugged in.

While we’re at it, how much electricity does one of those smelly plug in perfume things use over a year?

A neon light on a switch fuse?

Standby light on tv?

A mains smoke detector over it’s 10 year life?

Am I getting a little OCD on this??? 🤪🧐

Reply to Thatched wiring - ways to make safer in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net