Discuss The No Bonding / No Work rule......who obeys? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

LlandrilloSpark

Evening Fella's

As the title says, how many of us do a small Alteration or Addition if its quite clear there is no Main Protective Bonding in place?

A real close friend of mine asked me to install an extra socket in the kitchen & a FCU for a new extractor, I was going to give him a MWC for it, but I dont fancy putting my name to it, when I went to test for ze prior to starting the job, It was quite clear there is no bonding to Gas or Water, 100A main fuse, 10mm single insulated tails, 6mm Main Earth & No RCD, That said a ze of 0.16 and zs on the ring of 0.41.

Its a pocket money job for me, its a favour for him, but to put the above right would cost probably over £250+

That's the dilemma biff , From the outset it was a no signature job, then I thought I'd do a MWC, then I opened the intake cupboard.....holy s££t

Evening Fella's

As the title says, how many of us do a small Alteration or Addition if its quite clear there is no Main Protective Bonding in place?

A real close friend of mine asked me to install an extra socket in the kitchen & a FCU for a new extractor, I was going to give him a MWC for it, but I dont fancy putting my name to it, when I went to test for ze prior to starting the job, It was quite clear there is no bonding to Gas or Water, 100A main fuse, 10mm single insulated tails, 6mm Main Earth & No RCD, That said a ze of 0.16 and zs on the ring of 0.41.

Its a pocket money job for me, its a favour for him, but to put the above right would cost probably over £250+
if he's a close friend get him to give you a hand and only charge for materials and some beer money

I would have to fix it otherwise the conscience would just make me do it anyway.

Definitely a hot potato.....on the one hand you say 'no bonding so not gonna do the job mate' but it's very likely some one else will do it anyway possibley to a lower standard than you would do the job.

On the other hand you make the customer aware of the problem (verbaly and in writing), do the required works to your normal good standards (knowing the required works themselves are safe) and then walk away knowing there's issue's but at least the required original works are done safely.

Personaly it all depends on the customer themselves...if they're an a$$ they either accept the cost of extra bonding required or they can stick the job....If i get on with them (usualy aided with the kettle being put on pretty sharpish when i've turned up) and it's an easy low cost upgrade i end up loosing out and doing it for free,or if a long run of cable then the price gets cut down and i end up doing it for cost of cable only.

Main problem with the 'No bonding,no work' rule is most customers just wont wear the cost and think sparks have found another angle to rip them off.....as usual it's all down to the public just not knowing the rules and constantly being told by diddy dom and co that tradesmen are only here to rip them off.

Simple don't work for friends or family!

I wouldn't do it unless the bonding was installed at the same time, if you can't charge him the extra then bite the bullet and do it off your own back. Show him this thread!

To many sparks get sucked in like this, if we all stuck to the rules it wouldn't be an issue!

Well, I've put my name to a MWC where I added an outside light where no bonding was in place. Discussed and agreed with client and stated as so on the MWC.

And before I get shot down their kitchen refit was being done 3 months later and then the runs to the water and gas could be done without running 10mm GY around their dining room.

Jonny down the pub doesn't know about bonding, nor does Dave the builder, but we do and thus are in a position to make a qualified judgement based on knowledge and experience.

Tin hat on, bunker ready and as its Friday night bottle of red wine at the ready.

the whole no bond no job diktat is guidance from the schemes , not bs7671.
so theres nothing stopping you from doing the work and recording the lack of bonding on the cert.
you , as the professional , have informed the client of this defect , job done , all nice and above board.
just thought id throw that in.
;-)

Agree with Murdoch on this one. It can be done as long as its recorded on the minor works certificate and that you've noted that you've informed the customer actually had this conversation yesterday with the Nic inspector

Reply to The No Bonding / No Work rule......who obeys? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net