Discuss Them wooden things in the ceilings in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Chris

-
Reaction score
Hi,

I feel over the past few years more people are moving towards recessed downlights, on new builds its easier as you can mark out while there is no ceiling and know where they will land. But when retrofitting i have a hard time missing all the joists, are those stud finders any good? Or does anyone have any advice/tricks to help with them?

Thanks

A 2 or 3mm drill bit is always useful. Find a joist and drill a hole. Maybe 3 small in all to find joist and its edges.
Building regs did(it may still do) give tables for 400, 450 and 600 mm spaced joists. And thickness of boards etc.
Measure out said gap and if its been built by a half sensible person you should find the next joist That gives you the spacing.
It will differ slightly around chimneys, stairs etc...
Most uk houses follow this spacing.
As above magnets can find the fixings. With a lot of older ceilings you can in right light see joists as the ceiling either side being slightly different.

I use the above methods, and my trusty terminal bare blade terminal screwdriver, whose sole purpose is to find either side of joist. Then measure to next joist. It doesn’t locate noggins and metal pipes that might be in the way though.

I have a stud detector, and it’s of much use as a chocolate fire grate. I’ve heated the really expensive ones are ok.

Never thought of using a magnet. Good idea.
Tapping and listening for a hollow is good but tricky in noisy environment or double thickness of plasterboard.

Modern builds are 400/ 450/ 600mm centres between joists, but the measurements never seem to land right.

A 2 or 3mm drill bit is always useful. Find a joist and drill a hole. Maybe 3 small in all to find joist and its edges.
Building regs did(it may still do) give tables for 400, 450 and 600 mm spaced joists. And thickness of boards etc.
Measure out said gap and if its been built by a half sensible person you should find the next joist That gives you the spacing.
It will differ slightly around chimneys, stairs etc...
Most uk houses follow this spacing.
As above magnets can find the fixings. With a lot of older ceilings you can in right light see joists as the ceiling either side being slightly different.
Get hold of the plans for the building, should show how the joists are laid out, within reason.

I always find that you either have to lift a strip of floorboards above, or remove a strip of plasterboard below, in order to drill joists and run cables through to new lights. So once you've done that you can see the joist spacings and drill for downlights accordingly.
Not sure how you guys are running the wires to 'join the dots' once youve drilled your downlight holes using the tap or magnet method?

I use one of those really strong magnets - rare earth? Else a small drill bit. I think the stud finders are next to useless

I always find that you either have to lift a strip of floorboards above, or remove a strip of plasterboard below, in order to drill joists and run cables through to new lights. So once you've done that you can see the joist spacings and drill for downlights accordingly.
Not sure how you guys are running the wires to 'join the dots' once youve drilled your downlight holes using the tap or magnet method?

WiFi electrics, it’s the way to go. Ask Tesla.

Get hold of the plans for the building, should show how the joists are laid out, within reason.
If only that were the case. Most shops I've worked in don't even have a plan of emergency lights or anything like it. It amazes me sometimes as soon as it's done they must just part company, I do a lot of work in the airport here and they don't have have a decent map of most areas!

Optimistic - on my newbuild house the developer won't give me any plans at all. I'm having to work it out for myself. I use a FLIR thermal camera to work out where the pipes for the heating system are and the dabs of plaster that fix the plasterboard walls (they're colder than the rest of the wall). I haven't had to work on joists yet.

As others have said, tap the ceiling, small drill bit, lift floorboards. I always make sure spots are evenly spaced out and alignment is spot on.
Bathroom fitter I used to do work for used to cut the holes out before we got there and he would literally eye it up and just drill random holes. Never hit a joist and customer always chuffed to bits with the bathroom.
Makes you wonder if sometimes we go a bit over the top with setting out.

Reply to Them wooden things in the ceilings in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock