Discuss This is going to take me weeks..... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Got an EICR testing to do on a site soon. Some was done 2018, some 2014... but their office cant find the reports... So got to start from scratch on mapping out circuits.

There's 2 holiday cottages, half a day each. Modern RCBO consumer units. A cafe with some 3ph equipment, A workshop for the gardener/handyman and a little shop all in one courtyard.
Then there's the office, and a couple of self contained flats above, which i believe were last tested in 2020.. so can be left for now.

Then there's this.....

CRGP-Mellerstain-House-01.jpg

so far i've found 12 old fuseboards.... only a few have been "upgraded" to mcb. There must be more as they're labelled A,B,C,D etc... and i cant find E, J or L
Apart from the cottages, everything is a mix of singles in conduit, MICC, T&E........ Rewirable fuses, cartridge fuses, Old SquareD Qo type breakers (the black ones).....

There are rooms off staircases that don't appear on any of their plans... other doors that have been locked off for decades and the keys have disappeared. (there's a story there for another time)

And it all needs to be done before they open to the public at Easter.

Got an EICR testing to do on a site soon. Some was done 2018, some 2014... but their office cant find the reports... So got to start from scratch on mapping out circuits.

There's 2 holiday cottages, half a day each. Modern RCBO consumer units. A cafe with some 3ph equipment, A workshop for the gardener/handyman and a little shop all in one courtyard.
Then there's the office, and a couple of self contained flats above, which i believe were last tested in 2020.. so can be left for now.

Then there's this.....

View attachment 106570

so far i've found 12 old fuseboards.... only a few have been "upgraded" to mcb. There must be more as they're labelled A,B,C,D etc... and i cant find E, J or L
Apart from the cottages, everything is a mix of singles in conduit, MICC, T&E........ Rewirable fuses, cartridge fuses, Old SquareD Qo type breakers (the black ones).....

There are rooms off staircases that don't appear on any of their plans... other doors that have been locked off for decades and the keys have disappeared. (there's a story there for another time)

And it all needs to be done before they open to the public at Easter.
If you need a hand give me a shout - that’s right up my street as a daft challenge!! 😂

Looking at the size of that place, even a "drive by" EICR is going to take you an hour!
Mind you, I'd also be up for lending a hand as a daft challenge!
You'll need 3 or 4 helpers and a set of good walkie-talkies (one of the other great gadgets we use nowadays!)
Sadly, the Borders is just out of range for me.

I don't know about video diarys... There's some places in there they want kept off the internet for some reason. Hence the locked doors.. they don't want visitors on the guided tours stumbling across things.

I got into one of the self contained flats at the top of the right hand side tower there... full of old clothes, boxes, trinkets etc. There was a wooden chest that simply had "guns and swords" written on it.... and that's exactly what was in there. Musket pistols and a couple of short foils.

History is amazing... although i couldnt stand the lessons at school. This is real.

I'm surprised the guided tours only go through a handful of rooms now. Maybe they'll extend back down to the basement again where they used to show the butlers pantry with dumb waiter and servant call system.

There's a billiard table in one room not getting used, and years gone by, they used to hold weddings... so there's rooms in the basement set up for catering with separate metered supplies, as well as bedroom suites for the wedding party.

The show rooms also have hidden switches that bring on picture lights, and 5A sockets for table lamps, tucked away behind hinged doors on the wooden panelling.

Started with one of the holiday cottages today… and a handful of C3’s already. Nothing too serious.

Non standard set up. 2 cottages adjacent to each. Supplies come from one of the big DBs from the main house. Big DB also feeds public toilets.

From photo you can see SWA coming from main DB into isolator+mcb on right, through meter, for simple monitoring, then into cottage DB

You can get a bus through the holes the tails go through.

Underfloor heating in both cottages is fed from boiler for toilets… so that sw/fuse is live when cottage is isolated, and also on a different phase.

I believe (and will check next week when I do other cottage) that the hard wired smoke detectors are supplied from this cottage, but also feed the ones next door. Which means next door has all 3 phases present.

5D98F550-1848-4E42-B7FA-4C2D1A490268.jpeg

Just my day/ hourly rate…. And if they come back saying they can get it done for £80, then I’ll say it won’t be done right. (Which they won’t… but other customers did once)

It’s took me 3 hours once I got there to test the 6 circuits, dismantle part of the kitchen kickboard to find the main bond… map out the circuits as they weren't labelled… and another hour to type it up tonight.

While I’m on site, I’m still doing the odd repair job, prepping for other testing etc… they’re getting their value for money.
The testing is just part of the overall time I’m on site.

I send them a total invoice at the end of each week for days/ hours worked.

While I’m on site, I’m still doing the odd repair job, prepping for other testing etc… they’re getting their value for money.
The testing is just part of the overall time I’m on site.

I send them a total invoice at the end of each week for days/ hours worked.
That sounds like a good way of working for both parties.

Started with one of the holiday cottages today… and a handful of C3’s already. Nothing too serious.

Non standard set up. 2 cottages adjacent to each. Supplies come from one of the big DBs from the main house. Big DB also feeds public toilets.

From photo you can see SWA coming from main DB into isolator+mcb on right, through meter, for simple monitoring, then into cottage DB

You can get a bus through the holes the tails go through.

Underfloor heating in both cottages is fed from boiler for toilets… so that sw/fuse is live when cottage is isolated, and also on a different phase.

I believe (and will check next week when I do other cottage) that the hard wired smoke detectors are supplied from this cottage, but also feed the ones next door. Which means next door has all 3 phases present.

View attachment 106624
Some less experienced folk will learn much from how you approached this job. You're a top man.

Started on the cafe this morning… mapping circuits rather than testing… but this is the start of the interesting stuff.

Original 3ph fuse board with HRC cartridge fuses. Later added modern CU with RCD mainswitch, monitoring meter again.

Mix of metal conduit, plastic conduit, surface T&E and MICC…. Sometimes within the same circuit!

Joints in the trunking… including a 100A Henley block to supply the newer CU.

Oversized fuses for size of cable…. All lights on one fuse….

And I’m puzzled about the cable supplying the 3ph cooker. (3 separate fuses, I believe only single phase loads within the cooker itself, however)
The cable isn’t SWA. It’s 5 core (numbered on black) with a braided outer and transparent plastic sheath. I should have taken a better photo.
Come across it before on agricultural for grain dryer motor controls etc.

Isolated upstream in workshop, 63A MEM switch fuse complete with asbestos flash pads.

B9DDA518-2225-466B-9A66-4EB2655F3D36.jpeg

Started on the cafe this morning… mapping circuits rather than testing… but this is the start of the interesting stuff.

Original 3ph fuse board with HRC cartridge fuses. Later added modern CU with RCD mainswitch, monitoring meter again.

Mix of metal conduit, plastic conduit, surface T&E and MICC…. Sometimes within the same circuit!

Joints in the trunking… including a 100A Henley block to supply the newer CU.

Oversized fuses for size of cable…. All lights on one fuse….

And I’m puzzled about the cable supplying the 3ph cooker. (3 separate fuses, I believe only single phase loads within the cooker itself, however)
The cable isn’t SWA. It’s 5 core (numbered on black) with a braided outer and transparent plastic sheath. I should have taken a better photo.
Come across it before on agricultural for grain dryer motor controls etc.

Isolated upstream in workshop, 63A MEM switch fuse complete with asbestos flash pads.

View attachment 106695
Is cooker cable SY possibly?

Better photos of the mystery cable. 5 cores. (That I can see) and the braided cable.

Fairly recent addition as cores use brown/grey/blue tape as identification whereas some older cables using red/yellow/blue/black

1F0230DF-32EB-4811-951B-9E5C80B3FB5A.jpeg3ED90D2C-3CFB-40AD-8E5E-BDB880986564.jpeg

Reply to This is going to take me weeks..... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net