Discuss Three way switch conundrum, any help would me appreciated. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dallas

DIY
Reaction score
We just moved to a new house, we brought a chandelier with us. It has the same 15 x 40 watt bulbs as the last house.
There are two switches for this light, one downstairs is a dimmer switch.Upstairs is a rocker switch.

When the chandelier was hooked up, power turned back on and switch engaged with full lights/not dimmed, the dimmer which was rated at 600 watts blew out in about 45 minutes.

I removed the blown dimmer switch downstairs. The dimmer switch was connected to three wires; a black wire coiled around another black wire and a red wire.

I installed a new dimmer rated at 1100 watts. The black coiled wire to common and the other two as runners. When the breaker was flipped back to power on the dimmer switch blew out immediately.
I thought maybe I wired it incorrectly so I bought another of the same dimmer 1100 watt switches and confirmed how it was supposed to be wired and did so. This time when I turned on the power at the breaker, nothing happened. The dimmer switch, when switched to the on position, did nothing. When I switched the upstairs rocker switch the dimmer immediately blew out.
I checked the upstairs switch to be sure it was wired correctly. It also had a coiled wire around a black and red wires.

I then replaced the downstairs dimmer switch with a regular rocker switch, when the power was turned on it flipped the breaker right back off.

first picture is of the wires at the light
second picture is of the downstairs switch wiring
last two pictures are of upstairs wires

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Three way switch conundrum, any help would me appreciated. 20201027_161118 - EletriciansForums.net
    20201027_161118.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Three way switch conundrum, any help would me appreciated. 20201123_204638 - EletriciansForums.net
    20201123_204638.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Three way switch conundrum, any help would me appreciated. 20201123_205233 - EletriciansForums.net
    20201123_205233.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Three way switch conundrum, any help would me appreciated. 20201123_205406 - EletriciansForums.net
    20201123_205406.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 16
you must have wired the chandelier wrongly, and created a hot - neutral short, usually by mistaking a switched hot for a neutral.

Or it's wired correctly but has an internal short-circuit perhaps from the wiring inside being damaged during the move. That might explain why it worked to begin with, then if the wiring at one of the lamp sockets was under stress or crushed, it shorted out as the insulation warmed up and killed the first dimmer. As the fault has tripped the breaker a few times, it is presumably solid enough that it will still be there and can be found in minutes with a multimeter.

Or it's wired correctly but has an internal short-circuit perhaps from the wiring inside being damaged during the move. That might explain why it worked to begin with, then if the wiring at one of the lamp sockets was under stress or crushed, it shorted out as the insulation warmed up and killed the first dimmer. As the fault has tripped the breaker a few times, it is presumably solid enough that it will still be there and can be found in minutes with a multimeter.
Thank you, I will check this and may come back to you to understand more.

switched hot is what we here call switched live. a cable that becomes live or hot when the switch is turned on.

Reply to Three way switch conundrum, any help would me appreciated. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock