Discuss TN-C-S (PEN) RCBOs Discussion in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I'm currently planning for a CU upgrade on the domestic premises, and following previous advice on this forum, I was told that I should consider upgrading to a Type A RCBO CU.
I have been doing a bit of reading and came across some confusing information, stating that an RCD would not work on a PEN system, RCCD was not permitted on a PEN system and consequently, RCBO would not work and it will have to have separate earth.

I believe I have a PEN system as the earth it's taken at the DSO service fuse, and I also seem to have a small green hatch on the ground for rod servicing...
I can add some photos for clarification if needed.

This is confusing to me as I do seem to have split distribution with an RCD protecting the socket rings, immersion, and boiler, and on the other side, all the light rings an RCBO for the shower.

I would appreciate any comments

I'm currently planning for a CU upgrade on the domestic premises, and following previous advice on this forum, I was told that I should consider upgrading to a Type A RCBO CU.
The "problem" there is that whatever your motive is for sitting down to think about whether Type AC is still suitable or not, and the process you go through which leads you to decide it isn't, if all that is done properly you might well find that Type A isn't suitable, and you need Type F, at least for some circuits.

I have been doing a bit of reading and came across some confusing information, stating that an RCD would not work on a PEN system, RCCD was not permitted on a PEN system and consequently, RCBO would not work and it will have to have separate earth.
Got a link to that? It must surely be talking about the situation where N & E remain combined throughout the installation....

I think there is confusion and you might be thinking of comments that an RCD or RCBO wouldn’t protect you in the event of a broken supply Neutral in a TNCS system?

The "problem" there is that whatever your motive is for sitting down to think about whether Type AC is still suitable or not, and the process you go through which leads you to decide it isn't, if all that is done properly you might well find that Type A isn't suitable, and you need Type F, at least for some circuits.

Got a link to that? It must surely be talking about the situation where N & E remain combined throughout the installation....
the last page of this Hager Tech datasheet mentions that RCCB is not permitted in PEN.
Aso this thread on the IET forum states that an RCD will not work on a PEN system: https://----------------------/discussions/viewtopic/1037/25035

regarding the comment you made about the type, being F perhaps more suitable for some circuits, I'd say that given all the modern equipment we have, (water pump, modern washing machines, dishwashers, and all the IT equipment) maybe even a type B may be more appropriated?

Attachments

• RCCBs.pdf
    220 KB · Views: 11
I think there is confusion and you might be thinking of comments that an RCD or RCBO wouldn’t protect you in the event of a broken supply Neutral in a TNCS system?
thanks for your comment, I didn't really refer to that, I understand that is a very remote possibility.... to lose N and not lose L in the concentric cable from the DSO would be a very unlikely event.

thanks for your comment, I didn't really refer to that, I understand that is a very remote possibility.... to lose N and not lose L in the concentric cable from the DSO would be a very unlikely event.
Sorry! I’ll read the stuff you posted later as it sounds interesting.

I am very confused with what you are saying, and the links you have provided don't work.

You talk about having a TN-C-S - which obviously will have a PEN upstream, but then talk about the manual not allowing the use of any RCBO/RCCB in the PEN - why on earth would you want to put it in the PEN, this would clearly be prohibited?

You say you are looking to replace the CU, well that is the right place to put the RCCB/RCB/RCBOs, under no circumstances should you consider placing any of these in the PEN.

You need to get someone in to do this, just get the electrician to change the CU, you can use one that's fully populated with RCBOs, or get a split board with two or more RCD sections.

I would recommend type A RCD/RCBO, usually B curve RCBO/MCB - but your electrician will size them accordingly.

Edit:

Reading your post again, do you have a TN-C-S or TT - you also talk about having a Rod?

The protection requirements are different between TNCS and TT - although in both cases RCD/RCBO can be used in a TT you will need to use a RCD for fault protection (not additional), and usually a type S ahead of the CU

Last edited:
The Hager document last page is saying you can’t have a PEN conductor downstream of the device, not you cant install a device on a TNCS system. They are basically saying that if any fault current returned via the same conductor as the N the device wouldn’t know it is fault current. You would never do this anyway.

The Hager document last page is saying you can’t have a PEN conductor downstream of the device, not you cant install a device on a TNCS system. They are basically saying that if any fault current returned via the same conductor as the N the device wouldn’t know it is fault current. You would never do this anyway.
gotcha, thanks for the clarification, much appreciated

TN-C-S (PEN) RCBOs Discussion 1618838495374 - EletriciansForums.netTN-C-S (PEN) RCBOs Discussion 1618838530750 - EletriciansForums.net
I am very confused with what you are saying, and the links you have provided don't work.

You talk about having a TN-C-S - which obviously will have a PEN upstream, but then talk about the manual not allowing the use of any RCBO/RCCB in the PEN - why on earth would you want to put it in the PEN, this would clearly be prohibited?

You say you are looking to replace the CU, well that is the right place to put the RCCB/RCB/RCBOs, under no circumstances should you consider placing any of these in the PEN.

You need to get someone in to do this, just get the electrician to change the CU, you can use one that's fully populated with RCBOs, or get a split board with two or more RCD sections.

I would recommend type A RCD/RCBO, usually B curve RCBO/MCB - but your electrician will size them accordingly.

Edit:

Reading your post again, do you have a TN-C-S or TT - you also talk about having a Rod?

The protection requirements are different between TNCS and TT - although in both cases RCD/RCBO can be used in a TT you will need to use a RCD for fault protection (not additional), and usually a type S ahead of the CU
thanks for the comments, I appreciate I will have to get a RECI to do it, I'm just trying to understand what would suit better my needs ahead of the call, educating oneself about electricity and what goes on one's home never hurt anyone I believe.
I understand that I may have a TN-C-S system as the earth seems to come from the DSO service fuse, and I seem to have an earth rod too, I attach the pics for clarification.

TN-C-S (PEN) RCBOs Discussion 1618838430497 - EletriciansForums.net

You've a TN-C-S (aka PME) system and need to replace that 16mm T&E before worrying about anything else!

oh ok, is there a problem with that wire?
You'll need to consult with a reputable electrician to you, but in the U.K. that would not meet our regulations.

oh ok, is there a problem with that wire?
Years ago it would be OK, now it either needs to be replaced by armoured, or surface/contained, depending on how far it goes it may need local protection (such as fuses etc), it also looks a little small - depends on your fuse size but it will be a maximum of 80A

Years ago it would be OK, now it either needs to be replaced by armoured, or surface/contained, depending on how far it goes it may need local protection (such as fuses etc), it also looks a little small - depends on your fuse size but it will be a maximum of 80A
fuse is 63amp, so you mean that it would have to be on a metal earthed conduit? being concealed in the ESB box?

the last page of this Hager Tech datasheet mentions that RCCB is not permitted in PEN.
It is just as I suggested in #2. It's talking about PEN conductors - you don't have those in your system.

Your installation is not TN-C, it's TN-C-S. N & E become separate at the service head.

Aso this thread on the IET forum states that an RCD will not work on a PEN system: Electrical Blog - Electrical Advice | Free Electricians Advice Forum - https://electriciansforums.co.uk/discussions/viewtopic/1037/25035

regarding the comment you made about the type, being F perhaps more suitable for some circuits, I'd say that given all the modern equipment we have, (water pump, modern washing machines, dishwashers, and all the IT equipment) maybe even a type B may be more appropriated?
Unlikely - Type F will be OK for the sorts of loads you find in domestic installations, apart from EV charging points, but they're better off separated from the main house installation anyway.

fuse is 63amp, so you mean that it would have to be on a metal earthed conduit? being concealed in the ESB box?
There are multiple options, much depends on how long the run is from the isolator to the cu, and where it is, if it is surface, that is different from concealed; but yes, if it is concealed one option is a metalic conduit.

This work is controlled in Ireland, so you need a fully qualified person to do the work, and they will cover this aspect as much as the actual cu replacement.

There are multiple options, much depends on how long the run is from the isolator to the cu, and where it is, if it is surface, that is different from concealed; but yes, if it is concealed one option is a metalic conduit.

This work is controlled in Ireland, so you need a fully qualified person to do the work, and they will cover this aspect as much as the actual cu replacement.
I can see your point, the box was actually smashed to get the meter tails and the service cable, this is 1997... these houses were thrown together in a weekend, way overdue for an upgrade and an in-depth inspection, I will stop here, there are so many other aspects that would not be compliant with the latest regulations... I'm just afraid I'm going to have to rewire the whole house and it will cost me an eye and a leg ;-)

Thanks for your comments

Reply to TN-C-S (PEN) RCBOs Discussion in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock