Discuss To earth or not to earth in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

LC2

OK. had a question yesterday about main earth regs. Please can some1 answer something for me as i am a little confused. Stacked consumer units main one and economy 7 one below it. The main one has a 16mm main earth (all ok so far) the cheap rate one has NO main earth (two storage heaters and an immersion on it, 3 circuits total) I really do not understand why this is not earthed, please someone explain (and yes i am only 4 months into my career as a sparky so very green at the moment)

Hey.

When you say stacked, are they one unit with over and under din-rails, or are they two seperate C.U's just one on top of the other?? Also if it is one unit is it metalclad?

Long and short of it is it SHOULD be earthed.

As a rule 16mm. Same as main CU.

OK its two seperate C.U s with seperate meter tails stacked one on top of the other.

Is there any reason why this was not earthed in the first place (installation is roughly 25 years old)

Last edited by a moderator:
yep certain of it, my partner had a look at the job B4 me and said that there was but I had a look 2day and NO EARTH.

OK cool thought i must have missed something when learning all this stuff, thought maybe there was a reason why this was left like this..

yep true enough, I just vaguely remember something about reasons for not earthing in some situations. (couldn't see that this was one of them though)

Er no, definately not.

Some area's in hospitals aren't earthed - x-ray suites, operating theaters and the like but there are many other measures in place to compensate for this.

Cheers

Reply to To earth or not to earth in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock