Discuss Tonight’s announcement 23rd march in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

The only reasons you may leave your home.

To go to work if you're a key worker
Shop for groceries
Exercise
Provide care or help.

Are electricians key workers...
I had a call out this morning to a bakery which had a problem with a dispatch bay door. The bakery delivers bread to shops so even though we aren’t classed as key workers we do have a key role to play and essential works have to be done to keep the country going. Non essential jobs have stopped only call outs now e.g. Mrs jones electric tripping out and can’t be rectified over phone she has no heating or electric this is deemed as essential.
Mrs Evans wants a fancy new light put up this is not essential

Looking at the news, I don't think it'll be long before construction sites will close. Think it more likely, the sole trader (by definition) will be allowed to continue with essential works.

The written statement from the government, as published on their website, hasn't changed, the media interpretations of it and Chinese whispers are however changing it all the time.

As best as I can tell the guidance actually has changed. I don't recall seeing any mention in the documents that were released on Monday about working in peoples homes. This is now explicitly allowed under certain conditions, but in my opinion the guidance is not clear.

They use an example of 'repairs and maintenance', which may be considered as essential works to maintain the safety of the installation itself and of it's occupants, but it is only an example, so there is really no limitation on what we can do in peoples homes providing we follow the other guidelines.

Thus, I suspect this could be used as a get out so they don't have to pay people like me who furlough themselves to do the right thing.

They were very specific earlier in the week about the only people who you should allow into your home being the people who live there. That also now seems to have been relaxed as it's no longer in the documents.

I've tried to find previous versions to do a double check but unlike a lot of documents on the site, the guidance ones specifically have their history/updates hidden.

Think the guidance on working in people’s homes is quite clear now, if you read the other thread, and the post by @Pretty Mouth

I have read it and I believe it's highly ambiguous because there is plenty of room to make it clear whether it's for all works or for only those works required to keep the installation safe. They simply list an example of 'repairs and maintenance'. I wouldn't consider moving and adding sockets for example as 'repairs and maintenance'.

There's also a huge difference between dobbing in, fixing a faulty light for example... in and out within an hour... or spending all day in someone else's house. It's totally contradictory to the advice about staying at home. You can leave the house for shopping, work, exercise and medical... mostly once a day... but hey, you can let someone else who doesn't live in the household into your home for the whole day providing you follow the distancing guidance. The longer you're there the bigger the risk of something going wrong with that plan.

It's lacks clarity and in my opinion throws small tradies under the bus because they have explicitly told us we can work... therefore when we try and claim financial support or furlough ourselves... why are you stopping work??? you're allowed to work... no support for you... go out there and risk spreading the virus you pleb! And lets say someone does fall ill after you've been there... did you pass it on to them? You'd never know... that in itself could cause huge problems.

They simply list an example of 'repairs and maintenance'. I wouldn't consider moving and adding sockets for example as 'repairs and maintenance'.

That would normally fall under R&M, or certainly in the commercial installations I work on moving or adding sockets/lights would firmly fall within R&M.

But I see what you mean for domestics it is maybe harder to define. But the general gist of the wording is that in a house where every one is healthy and has no know contact with a case of covid19 and you are the same you can continue as normal.
Also anyone who cannot work from home can travel to work.

They can't just stop everyone working as there is only so much money they can give out to support people who aren't working. The government are stuck between a rock and a hard place trying to balance the restructions to control the disease against the need to keep the economy in good shape and not cripple the country.

They have planned and run simulations for all manner of disaster situations for many many years (I know someone who was involved with this at a high level)

Monday -

IMG-20200324-WA0006.jpg

Today -

IMG-20200324-WA0007.jpg

Personally, I don't want to go to other peoples houses right now. I'd opt for government financial help preferably. Perhaps they can ask the DUP for a refund? (our money afterall)

Reply to Tonight’s announcement 23rd march in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net