Discuss Torque screw driver anyone bother ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dustydazzler

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Ok tin hat on for a minute...

I have never ever bothered to acquire or use a torque rated screw driver

I have been offered a second hand wiha one by a mate for £20 as he is buggering off to Spain to work

Are they worth using ?

For £20 it is definitely worth buying.
I don't use one myself but my mate uses the Wiha and it seems a very good tool. Think it has the largest torque range of any vde torque driver I have seen, the bits seem decent and are readily available.
Make sure the black handled setting tool comes with it.

If you don't get on with it I'll buy it from you :D

For £2o I might give it a whirl

at very worst it can live in the bottom of my tool box along with a few other bits I rarely use then one day will all end up on eBay

For £2o I might give it a whirl

at very worst it can live in the bottom of my tool box along with a few other bits I rarely use then one day will all end up on eBay

Ooh no, don't let it fester amongst the forgotten tools. Like I say if you didn't use it much, I'd have first refusal please. Been thinking about getting one for a while now, but like with you, it may become an occasional tool so not wanted to pay full price.

Got mentioned at the Niceic assessment visit yesterday, he wasn’t too concerned as I don’t have one but basically said that the Niceic haven’t ‘pushed it yet’

Ok tin hat on for a minute...

I have never ever bothered to acquire or use a torque rated screw driver

I have been offered a second hand wiha one by a mate for £20 as he is buggering off to Spain to work

Are they worth using ?

Mine is never more than 18" away from me for 60% of my working day.

It's buried behind my seat behind the racking, exactly where it will remain unless an assessor asks to see it.

20190425_123534.jpg

Ahhh I see...Its one of those items

Like the 1000v yellow insulated gloves

Which I purchased after leaving college around 20+ years ago and have never actually used since

Arrggg

This is the issue

Having spoken to around 6 or 7 sparks over the years , they all the say the same thing.
Bought one and never ever use it
Mine literally gathers dust. I have an interchangeable wiha one which isn't torque but I use it all the time. Less than half the price but a great job

For day to day house bashing they’re not really needed but useful for industrial switchgear when torque levels need adhering to
And do they not need adhering to in Domestic then??? Think that's where all the hoo hah started in the first place, Domestic Installs that is, poor equipment and poorly trained DIs.

And do they not need adhering to in Domestic then??? Think that's where all the hoo hah started in the first place, Domestic Installs that is, poor equipment and poorly trained DIs.
Surely contradicted by the apprentice-trained electricians here who say they never use them ?

I agree that there is no reference to torque settings in the DI course, but is that not also the case in Apprenticeships too ? After all the DI courses are all validated by Industry organisations.
And is it not a little pot calling the kettle black for people to slag off new scheme DIs when they don't torque themselves ?? At least the DIs have the excuse that this was not in the training course material, nor do I recollect in any of the Manuals I have read - for DI work that is. Industrial is different.

Surely contradicted by the apprentice-trained electricians here who say they never use them ?

I agree that there is no reference to torque settings in the DI course, but is that not also the case in Apprenticeships too ? After all the DI courses are all validated by Industry organisations.
And is it not a little pot calling the kettle black for people to slag off new scheme DIs when they don't torque themselves ?? At least the DIs have the excuse that this was not in the training course material, nor do I recollect in any of the Manuals I have read - for DI work that is. Industrial is different.
Probably because the Apprenticed trained Electricians as you call them have been trained properly and, don't feel the need for overpriced unnecessary tools, as they have been trained properly during their Apprenticeships, on how to access the tightness of a termination, and not rely on the aid of a piece of useless orange and yellow abomination that is a torque screwdriver set, which will need calibration every so often brought about by CP Schemes, in cohorts with training establishments, who instruct DI trainees in the sterile environment of a training both, which as no resemblance to the real life of domestic electrical installations. Why may I ask is Industrial electrics any different, apart from the voltage in some cases? the electric will still kill, and maim innocent people, so please tell me the difference.

Reply to Torque screw driver anyone bother ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net