Discuss Torque screw driver anyone bother ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A torque screwdriver is a pretty useless piece of kit unless it is very regularly calibrated, just a small drop or knock could affect it's calibration . If you get it calibrated every 12 months and it is found to be working lower than it's set value do you then go back to all your customers of the last 3 or 6 or 9 months to recheck your work
In reality the only reliable way of using one is to have a calibration unit and check the driver before every job but that is an expensive option that no one will pay for. Therefore the age old talk method of "yes that's tight" works for me

If an instrument is found to be out of calibration and giving incorrect readings/measurements, you only need to go back to previous customers for as far back as it takes you to find one that is correct.

They are a load of ---- had to buy a set when working on new build housing. Specific torques for different manufacturers and all of them felt loose would not trust them as far as I could throw them. I saw them in the shed yesterday.

IMO it's in many cases an overreaction to loose connections which just demand more care. A set-up which assumes we are all as ham-fisted as the worst.
I've found numerous completely never done up connections, and also note that torque settings by the book on screw terminals (N/E bars) with single 1mm cables can flatten them ready to break. Some manufacturers are beginning to provide different torque settings dependent on the cable diameter. Makes sense, but if they were wrong before..
I'll sometimes get mine out, but its quite rare.

Flat torque driver.jpg

I have one and use it
I actually point it out to the client (if they are loitering) pointing out that the consumer units vary in quality and tightness
I use Hager and the main switch is 3.6 Nm, where some makes are only 2.1Nm
Just shows the difference in build quality

People who understand car stuff and torque wrenches get it- it's a selling point, seperates us from 'people who don't follow the rules'

Waiting for fireworks....

I have one that a main contractor got conned in to buying me one Christmas when we visited the wholesalers together ! I enquired about my Christmas present or Christmas bonus and said I fancied the torque screwdriver to which he agreed !
Was only after he received the invoice at the end of January he realises the price and I told him I had been surprised when he had agreed to pay for it lol but only used it a handful of times in about 4 years and never had another prezzie

Been looking on Ebay for one after seeing the Wiha rep at the wholesalers a few weeks ago.
Prices are comparable on Ebay to buying new if you're going for Wiha or Wera

However I did find this:
Gift Idea! Magnetic Torque Screwdriver 1nm > 8nm Ideal For Bicycle Cycle 5018341560942 | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gift-Idea-Magnetic-Torque-Screwdriver-1nm-8nm-Ideal-For-Bicycle-Cycle/163135099476?epid=1337918412&hash=item25fb9c1254:g:px4AAOSwMBdb4Wm-

Much cheaper.
Its adjustable.
It has a selection of bits.
Just not VDE insulated.
Is it permissible to use this one?

Reply to Torque screw driver anyone bother ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net