Discuss Torque screwdriver !!!!! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

I've never had one and not been asked if I have. Lots more to a good termination that torque alone.

If you are buying, my mate has a Wiha set and that seems good when I've used it. Have heard lots of bad reports of the Armeg ones for snapped bits under torque.

Just curious as I've never needed one as feel becomes second nature after time.

Just wondered if anyone had been asked to produce one for any reason as I've heard them being mentioned by the ole house bashers for being part of Elecsa / NICEIC etc.

I've never had one and not been asked if I have. Lots more to a good termination that torque alone.

If you are buying, my mate has a Wiha set and that seems good when I've used it. Have heard lots of bad reports of the Armeg ones for snapped bits under torque.
Must admit that I’ve bought an Armeg set. One CU installation and so far, one of the blades has broken already with hardly any use. Shame really as I’d like to buy British if I can...assuming these particular blades are made of Sheffield’s finest!

I have looked at them several time but the cost puts me off , We get inspected every year and never been ask to produce one or been ask about them. I Just tighten up the connection with the correct bladed screw driver its not hard.

The Armeg I bought lost the dial at the bottom and blades snapped. At the Elex show I spoke to the guy from Armeg and he suggested it was because we are all using the wrong size of blade! I said yes very likely I have only had forty years experience still working out how to use my battery drill! So to be fair they did send me a new handle with dial on anyway. Got the Wiha one much better for setting torques and so on. Never use them though, maybe sometimes...if someone is looking or I want to impress the young ladies.

I have a set (where's my tin hat?). I was surprised at the lack of torque suggested for clamping tails into isolators. For example, BG state 2.5 Nm for their isolators and 3.5 Nm for their RCDs. It turns out one Wilko Twist is about 4 Nm :rolleyes:

I have looked at them several time but the cost puts me off , We get inspected every year and never been ask to produce one or been ask about them. I Just tighten up the connection with the correct bladed screw driver its not hard.
No-one was saying it was hard! Just wondering if people have been asked to show them for inspections. After 30 odd years Ive never had any issues and played with all sorts of switching gear up to and including 33KV. :)

I got a wiha torque screwdriver and spoke about at my assessments, that made the assessor forget the question he was about to ask me, so it has been worth the £100 I paid for it 4 years ago. Use that cunning plan every year :)

Needs calibrating, and has teeny weeny figures, which I can't read without a magnify glass & night sun torch.

The Armeg I bought lost the dial at the bottom and blades snapped. At the Elex show I spoke to the guy from Armeg and he suggested it was because we are all using the wrong size of blade! I said yes very likely I have only had forty years experience still working out how to use my battery drill! So to be fair they did send me a new handle with dial on anyway. Got the Wiha one much better for setting torques and so on. Never use them though, maybe sometimes...if someone is looking or I want to impress the young ladies.
I would counter Armeg’s argument that normally if you use the wrong size screw driver you either can’t get the torque to do the job, it doesn’t fit or it chews the head. The driver shouldn’t break.

I bought an armeg one out of impulse after saying they are pointless and I can now confirm that the are pointless rarely ever comes out of the van

I have a wera one. There interchangeable bit set works well on Hagar and SBS, slips on BG though when approaching the required torque but thinking about it most drivers slip on the BG screw heads

I’ve got a torque screwdriver and two torque wrenches. All of them bought for doing various mechanical jobs on the landrover.
I’ve used a torque wrench for bolted connections in a panel board a couple of times, but never for small connections at a DB or CU.

There are times when correctly set specific torque is important, but not in the work most of us are doing on a daily basis.

My big objection to the use of torque screwdrivers is the lack of knowledge of how to use and look after them correctly.

I’ve got a torque screwdriver and two torque wrenches. All of them bought for doing various mechanical jobs on the landrover.
I’ve used a torque wrench for bolted connections in a panel board a couple of times, but never for small connections at a DB or CU.

There are times when correctly set specific torque is important, but not in the work most of us are doing on a daily basis.

My big objection to the use of torque screwdrivers is the lack of knowledge of how to use and look after them correctly.
Nice... Only time I use my torque wrenches is on me Motorbike as I'm delving into mechanical territory :)

Just bunged an email to Armeg to see if they are aware of this thread. In general I love their kit, been using their wood beavers which are very effective for going through joists.

Reply to Torque screwdriver !!!!! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net