Currently reading:
Torque Screwdrivers

Discuss Torque Screwdrivers in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aye, seen the busbar wrong side of the clamp many a time. Impossible with the Hager MCBs though. They have a barrier behind the clamp that moves forward as the clamp is tightened.

I think the concept of using a torque screwdriver is a good idea, and I have one myself. Over tightening or under tightening are both as bad.

However, I see some issues. As someone has already said, annual calibration. Okay to use one when installing a new CU or device, cos your have access to the manufacturers instructions with torque settings, what do you use as reference when checking connections in an existing CU or devices. AND I have the Whia model with slotted/pozidriv bit heads, which don't fit all manufactures cage clamp screw heads. AND even the slimbits won't fit into the neutral terminal holes on most makes of RCBO's I've fitted.

So the concept is flawed, perhaps. :)

I have Wiha and Armeg. Bought the Wiha as the Armeg dial fell off and the driver tips kept fracturing. The rep told me I was using the wrong size and that was the problem, still I suppose he had a point with forty years inexperience thats the sort of mistake you would make isnt it. The Wiha is nice comes with normal screwdriver heads so you can replace them cheaply. Armeg, you are stuck with their particular screwdriver heads. I find I have been over tightening for forty years! Still dont trust the manufacturers numbers. For instance I phoned MK and asked what torque to use on their sockets and was told .5! I do not believe that.

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/monume...tracking url&gclid=CIjIpb6quNACFcyRGwodEQYO_w

Got to be a must in the tool bag to check that you have actually tightened the mcb's onto the busbar!:)

I have also snapped a armeg tip recently, I was using the wrong size though!:)

I have the 16 piece Draper one, I quite like it although I don't use it too often. Initially I was going to get the Wera set but that only goes up to 3Nm whereas the Draper (and wiha i believe) go up to 5Nm.

In my opinion anyone who NEEDS (not wants) torque screwdrivers shouldn't be working on any installation.. every spark should know whats expected with connection tightness, its only the idiots who don't take enough care in their work who leave loose connections or don't screw busbars into MCBs correctly....

But couldn't you say the same about car mechanics? Why torque a head down when bloody tight will do?
Looking at the specs for the various connection torques it suggests too tight can be an issue.

In my opinion anyone who NEEDS (not wants) torque screwdrivers shouldn't be working on any installation.. every spark should know whats expected with connection tightness, its only the idiots who don't take enough care in their work who leave loose connections or don't screw busbars into MCBs correctly....
Yes I agree but remember some guys have only done a 5 week course

then they should not be let loose with a hammer, let alone a torque driver.

What are you trying to say GL45? come on spill

rthink he's trying to say what you and i would say. any spark worth the name don'tneed a bloody torqing screwdriver to get a connection right. next thing is we'll have a talking clock to tell us the time ( oops, BT have had one since the 30's)/

rthink he's trying to say what you and i would say. any spark worth the name don'tneed a bloody torqing screwdriver to get a connection right. next thing is we'll have a talking clock to tell us the time ( oops, BT have had one since the 30's)/
Oh right

Reply to Torque Screwdrivers in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net