Discuss Touch dimmer switch help!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

leep82

-
Arms
Reaction score
hi all just wanted to pick some brains and make sure im not overlooking somthing really stupid.

My brother in law has gone and purchased a new touch dimmer switch which he intends to control 3 x 9w dimmable LED fittings. He initially asked my advice and i told him to double check with any manufacturers instructions whether it would need a neutral at the switch position, as currently he doesnt have one.

The lighting is wired using the traditional three plate method and theres no chance of pulling in a new switch drop to incorporate a neutral as the wall has only recently been decorated.

He called me tonight to pop round and look at the switch as it had arrived and asked me to fit it. I will try to upload a wiaring diagram that came with the switch as it makes no sense to me.

Basically on the back of the switch there are 2 terminals marked L and L2, so i assumed no neutral required and these terminals were just a feed and switchwire. And so this was how i connected it, however nothing worked. Took a look at the wiring diagram and it shows a neutral conductor coming from L2 and a “ firewire “ into L.

The instructions clearly say that no alterations need to be made to existing wiring to accomodate this switch, nor that the switch requires a neutral despite the wiring diagram suggesting otherwise. I will try to post a pic of the instructions so its a little clearer

nor that the switch requires a neutral despite the wiring diagram suggesting otherwise.
It doesn't suggest that a neutral is required. It is trying to indicate that there is a neutral on the supply side of the light.
We have to suppose that "Firewire" means a permanent line (aka live) connection. Assuming the LEDs are suitable for the dimmer, it should work.

PS What make is this load of tat?

It doesn't suggest that a neutral is required. It is trying to indicate that there is a neutral on the supply side of the light.
We have to suppose that "Firewire" means a permanent line (aka live) connection. Assuming the LEDs are suitable for the dimmer, it should work.

PS What make is this load of tat?
Not sure on the make but he’s paid quite a bit for it he tells me. When you read through the instructions it is poorly worded and straight away i asked him if it was some foreign crap.

and rotate the pic... I'm suing you for the crick in my neck...

So it looks like it would be using L2 as a false neutral but the light fitting has too high an impedance so they recommend a dummy load via a capacitor to provide a circuit for the switch.

IEEE 1394 but in the dodgy instructions it looks like its the live but you need due diligence to test and to confirm, so shove a couple of wires in to the switch and turn it on baby........

BTW, do you get on with your brother in law?

Reply to Touch dimmer switch help!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net