Discuss Trace wire through my house in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Rodrayner

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi,
I am removing my room thermostats as i'm going "smart heating" and need to trace the wire from the room stat downstairs back to the heating control in a cupboard upstairs so it can be removed from the circuit.

I'm thinking all i need is a simple tone generator / wire tracer like the ones used on network cabling but i'm not sure if they would work or be sufficient.

The power will be switch off when i trace the cable as all i need to do is identify which wires are which.

Do i need anything special or can i just buy something simple of amazon with a couple of crocodile clips and a 9volt battery?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,
I am removing my room thermostats as i'm going "smart heating" and need to trace the wire from the room stat downstairs back to the heating control in a cupboard upstairs so it can be removed from the circuit.

I'm thinking all i need is a simple tone generator / wire tracer like the ones used on network cabling but i'm not sure if they would work or be sufficient.

The power will be switch off when i trace the cable as all i need to do is identify which wires are which.

Do i need anything special or can i just buy something simple of amazon with a couple of crocodile clips and a 9volt battery?

Thanks in advance.
An electrician would be able to identify which cable it is in the wiring centre by what it’s connected to. For example if it was an S-plan the switch live of the cable in question would be connected to the brown of the CH 2 port valve and if it was a Y-plan then the switch live of the cable in question would be connected to the white of the mid position valve.

An electrician would be able to identify which cable it is in the wiring centre by what it’s connected to. For example if it was an S-plan the switch live of the cable in question would be connected to the brown of the CH 2 port valve and if it was a Y-plan then the switch live of the cable in question would be connected to the white of the mid position valve.
head bone connected to the back bone, backbone connected to the thigh bone, thigh bone connected to the knee bone, knee bone connected to the ankle bone. ankle bone connected to the foot bone, foot bone connected to the steel toecaps, praise the name of H&S.

Fair enough... my mistake... i apologise... i didn't realise this was a forum for just trades people to speak to trades people... i made the mistake of misunderstanding the DIY section as actually asking people for assitance... if i knew i was just going to get advice telling me an electrician would know how to do it i would of asked my mum..

Fair enough... my mistake... i apologise... i didn't realise this was a forum for just trades people to speak to trades people... i made the mistake of misunderstanding the DIY section as actually asking people for assitance... if i knew i was just going to get advice telling me an electrician would know how to do it i would of asked my mum..
Are you incapable of checking to see what heating system you have, as in a S,Y,C plan etc? And then following the advice I gave you in my other post? If so you shouldn’t be trying to undertake this task in the 1st place. I would also drop the adolescent teenager attitude if you wish to receive more constructive advice from this forum. Thanks Lee

If you want to remove the Stat cable completely, just start at the stat and follow the cable and remove it as you go, with the power off. You will have the answer to where it's connected when you get to the end. If you're removing the wired Stat and fitting smart then you'll need to understand the wiring in the Junction box/wiring centre when you connect up the hub or receiver or whatever is on the wired end of the system.

@Leesparkykent, thanks for the feedback but i'd prefer an answer to my question rather than an "electrician would know how to do it"... i dont need to know what or how the cable works... i just want to remove it... in its entirety.

But if you just simply remove the cable your heating will stop working. You need to know how to incorporate the new controls to replace the existing stat so you will need to identify the connections at the wiring centre anyway.

Are you incapable of checking to see what heating system you have, as in a S,Y,C plan etc? And then following the advice I gave you in my other post? If so you shouldn’t be trying to undertake this task in the 1st place. I would also drop the adolescent teenager attitude if you wish to receive more constructive advice from this forum. Thanks Lee

I was going to report you to a moderator, but then you are a moderator :)

OP: For tracing cables, using a battery, croc clips and bulb, or whatever (a multimeter would suffice) then you would have to disconnect the joints in the wiring centre. These wiring centres can be complicated to understand for a basic electrician, never mind a layman DIYer.

The smart stat wiring diagram may appear simple, its only 2 wires, right? but there is so much can go wrong... and I bet the instruction say "if in doubt, consult a qualified electrician"

Lee was right in his response, and as he is a moderator, he doesn't dish out advice like "get an electrician in" willy-nilly

would've, would've been fine too...
but I am being Pedantic Pirate, and really should of...sorry, should've gone to bed ages ago

You don't need to "trace" the cable as the thermostat cable should be identifiable on the schematic for the boiler and controls.

Oh and just ignore the cantankerous old fogeys posting up rubbish.

I am removing my room thermostats as i'm going "smart heating"

Thermostat(s) as in several?
Do you have individual thermostats for each room/area?
If so it is too complicated to give practical advice here, you really do need to contact an electrician.

Reply to Trace wire through my house in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock