Discuss Trailer Sub-panel wiring and grounding? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Wow, so simple, I wonder why I didn't think of that. The nearest store that sells electrical hardware is 75 miles away in Klamath Falls, Oregon. I'll get a main lug only panel this weekend and hopefully install it next week after work providing the rain and hail lets up. I'll then post pictures here to get your feedback if I wired everything safely before I turn the 60 amp breaker on.
Is there any reason why I can't take the two top consecutive single breakers out and put the 60 amp double pole breaker there and the two single breakers in the main lug only panel? It would sure make wiring much neater rather than putting more wires down lower in that mess.
Definitely no hard feelings. For me this project is kind of exciting, in a way. Just wish the weather wasn't so cold already.
Thank you, Sir, for your understanding and help.
[automerge]1569905998[/automerge]
Another question: What is the difference between the 60 amp breakers in the two links below? Why is one $9.88 and the other $66.31? That's a big difference for the same product.

Eaton Corporation BR260 Double Pole Interchangeable Circuit Breaker, 120/240V, 60-Amp - Magnetic Circuit Breakers - Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/Corporation-BR260-Interchangeable-Circuit-Breaker/dp/B000BO6PCC/ref=asc_df_B000BO6PCC/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198075247191&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2898305687074851425&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032687&hvtargid=pla-348114793153&psc=1

and

Last edited:
Interesting, I always thought breakers worked by sensing some type of electromagnetic field, not by sensing heat. Doesn't that make the breakers inherently very inaccurate or inconsistent in protecting the circuits? When its hot, say 95*F, the breakers will be much warmer and more likely to flip than when its below freezing at, say 10*F?

Different types of breaker sense current by different methods depending what application they are designed for and what you need them to do.

Your 'basic' breaker is normally a thermal magnetic circuit breaker.
As the name suggests these use both a thermal element and a magnetic element.
The magnetic element works by electromagnetism as you suggest, this element reacts quickly to larger fault currents but does not react to smaller overload currents. So this is the element that will trip the breaker if a short circuit occurs, such as cutting through the cable.

The thermal element is a bimetallic strip which the current passes through and has been calibrated to react predictably and accurately. This heats up as current flows through it and the more current that flows through it the hotter it gets,when it gets too hot it trips the breaker.
So if you have a 20A breaker with 20A flowing through it the bimetallic strip gets warm but not hot enough to trip.
If 40A was to flow through it then it will gradually get hotter until it trips, if 25A flows through it then the same will happen but a lot more slowly so it takes longer to trip.

Yes ambient temperature does affect the thermal element of a circuit breaker, they are calibrated at a specific temperature and will behave slightly differently at higher and lower temperatures. Manufacturers will supply data on their behaviour at other temperatures if it is needed, but usually the difference is not enough to have a significant effect.

Manufacturers also advise that heavily loaded circuit breakers should not be installed next to each other as they will heat each other up and cause them to trip.

Wow, so simple, I wonder why I didn't think of that. The nearest store that sells electrical hardware is 75 miles away in Klamath Falls, Oregon. I'll get a main lug only panel this weekend and hopefully install it next week after work providing the rain and hail lets up. I'll then post pictures here to get your feedback if I wired everything safely before I turn the 60 amp breaker on.
Is there any reason why I can't take the two top consecutive single breakers out and put the 60 amp double pole breaker there and the two single breakers in the main lug only panel? It would sure make wiring much neater rather than putting more wires down lower in that mess.
Definitely no hard feelings. For me this project is kind of exciting, in a way. Just wish the weather wasn't so cold already.
Thank you, Sir, for your understanding and help.
[automerge]1569905998[/automerge]
Another question: What is the difference between the 60 amp breakers in the two links below? Why is one $9.88 and the other $66.31? That's a big difference for the same product.

Eaton Corporation BR260 Double Pole Interchangeable Circuit Breaker, 120/240V, 60-Amp - Magnetic Circuit Breakers - Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/Corporation-BR260-Interchangeable-Circuit-Breaker/dp/B000BO6PCC/ref=asc_df_B000BO6PCC/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198075247191&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2898305687074851425&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032687&hvtargid=pla-348114793153&psc=1

and

Steve yes you can take out the 2 singles out and put you 60 in them slots. 75 miles is a lot plus rain and hail wow it’s 90 + degrees I NC and so humid are they a Lowe’s or Home Depot bear you. As far as the price the only thing I can think of is that make sure you get a 60 amp double pole breaker with the same name brand
[automerge]1569932790[/automerge]
Steve yes you can take out the 2 singles out and put you 60 in them slots. 75 miles is a lot plus rain and hail wow it’s 90 + degrees I NC and so humid are they a Lowe’s or Home Depot bear you. As far as the price the only thing I can think of is that make sure you get a 60 amp double pole breaker with the same name brand
Steve good luck and stay in touch and that link was the right breaker.
[automerge]1569933443[/automerge]

Sorry about my spelling, I should proof read before sending LOL
[automerge]1569933764[/automerge]

[automerge]1569933443[/automerge]

Sorry about my spelling, I should proof read before sending LOL
Steve don’t buy the $ 66.00 breaker the difference is the rating of the breaker which won’t hurt or help you. Buy tha amazon breaker

Last edited:

Reply to Trailer Sub-panel wiring and grounding? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock