Discuss Trainee trying to find the right path.. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Apologies if this is in the wrong part of the forum, but I was after a bit of advice.
So I've nearly finished my level 3 in Electrical Installation C&G, been in the trade for about a year now, but I'm completely lost and unsure if it's for me.
I've had 2 different jobs in the trade, my 1st one was involving a hotel contract, the day varied which I loved, refurbishing restaurant areas, testing, the works. My issue was I was paid 8-4, but the distance to hotels meant most days I was out the door at 5am, not walking through till 8pm, after discussing with my boss about being paid for travel times, he rejected and I decided to leave.
That's when I found my current company to which, I'm self employed with, doing new builds. 6 months on and I've found myself hating it again. Most days I'm left on site on my own, and miss interaction throughout the day, as I'm relatively new to the game, still lack experience, and even lack a bit of confidence.

I'm looking into maintenance on the railways as maybe my next shout, but I'm starting to worry I won't ever find my feet in the game.

Can anyone share similar experiences or maybe give me a good route that maybe involves working in a team?

Any help would be appreciated as I feel completely lost as where to go with it.

Thanks guys, have a good weekend..

Well I suppose you are a hard one to please. Railways are good and expected income at the top of the game is 80K. However it is cold and wet out there and dangerous in the extreme. So you sound like you will hate that as well. It seems you are fortunate in getting the first job you had and forgive me for saying so, but is sounds like you shot yourself in the foot leaving that job. Out of the frying pan into the fire with the next job, hating that already. And the next one? It seems like good fortune smiles on you as I know there are tons of people on this forum who would probably give their right arm for the jobs you have described. In any event you would need to get to a point where you say get your gold card with JIB for instance and then you would be in a position to start asking for the jobs you idealise. So finish the course and get to a point of fully graded spark and take it from there. It always look bad on a C.V. chopping and changing jobs and wont help you when that plum job comes up so stay with what you are doing or go over to Railways and stick with it more than anything else. A trade fully completed is gold in later life to fall back on to. As you have got so far at least finish it.

Well I suppose you are a hard one to please. Railways are good and expected income at the top of the game is 80K. However it is cold and wet out there and dangerous in the extreme. So you sound like you will hate that as well. It seems you are fortunate in getting the first job you had and forgive me for saying so, but is sounds like you shot yourself in the foot leaving that job. Out of the frying pan into the fire with the next job, hating that already. And the next one? It seems like good fortune smiles on you as I know there are tons of people on this forum who would probably give their right arm for the jobs you have described. In any event you would need to get to a point where you say get your gold card with JIB for instance and then you would be in a position to start asking for the jobs you idealise. So finish the course and get to a point of fully graded spark and take it from there. It always look bad on a C.V. chopping and changing jobs and wont help you when that plum job comes up so stay with what you are doing or go over to Railways and stick with it more than anything else. A trade fully completed is gold in later life to fall back on to. As you have got so far at least finish it.

I think that's a little bit harsh if I'm honest. Being paid for an 8 hour day, which, was only £75. I was basically never at home. It was working out 15hr days. Working in the wet & cold doesn't bother me, so I also feel it was unfair to assume that.

As for the company I'm with currently, in the last 2 month's they've lost 3 mates & 2 gold cards, so it can't only be me. Before this I was in a company for 7+ yrs, so loyalty is not something I lack.

Josh - just a tip - it may be an idea to remove the business name from your profile - I guess this is your current employer.
For where you are located, you are amongst affluent areas both in terms of domestic and commercial, so you need to get yourself a job as a mate, stick with it as Vortigern has said and absorb every experience - good and bad - like a sponge! Good luck.

OK @Josh Wilkinson you may be right perhaps it was a bit harsh I accept that. If you put yourself on a public platform and ask questions this is the sort of response you may get among others, sorry if it upset you. Anyway I take it all back sounds like you are hardworking and you may be right perhaps this isn't the job for you.

Josh - just a tip - it may be an idea to remove the business name from your profile - I guess this is your current employer.
For where you are located, you are amongst affluent areas both in terms of domestic and commercial, so you need to get yourself a job as a mate, stick with it as Vortigern has said and absorb every experience - good and bad - like a sponge! Good luck.

Removed mate, Thank you for bringing that to my attention. That was the company I was with for 7 yrs, and they aren't part of the 'trade'. Nor the 2 companies I was on about. Thank you for the advice :)

OK @Josh Wilkinson you may be right perhaps it was a bit harsh I accept that. If you put yourself on a public platform and ask questions this is the sort of response you may get among others, sorry if it upset you. Anyway I take it all back sounds like you are hardworking and you may be right perhaps this isn't the job for you.

I didn't take no offence, I opened this thread because I am relatively new to this game and want to explore my options. That's the reason I studied electrics because I find it fascinating and the options are almost limitless. I like working as a team, alongside people so I can pick their brains and pick up vital information and skills. So far I've struggled to find that, hence why I've looked into maintenance. I know many people that'll work every hr they can get, I want a good life/work balance.

Josh sometimes it takes a number of paths to find the right one, then when you find it...it can change again. There is no harm in trying different avenues. A relative of mine got his C&G certs in carpentry and ended up installing/commissioning Air conditioning units. Maintenance can be a nice regular avenue. Being self-employed I enjoy meeting many managers (customers), the variety, like working hard but the business side & long hours makes work/life unbalanced... I do like talking to my invisible friend every day !!. Give it time & good luck in your journey.

Josh sometimes it takes a number of paths to find the right one, then when you find it...it can change again. There is no harm in trying different avenues. A relative of mine got his C&G certs in carpentry and ended up installing/commissioning Air conditioning units. Maintenance can be a nice regular avenue. Being self-employed I enjoy meeting many managers (customers), the variety, like working hard but the business side & long hours makes work/life unbalanced... I do like talking to my invisible friend every day !!. Give it time & good luck in your journey.

Thank you for the kind words mate. I think it is a case of trying to find something that works for me. It was a big career change for me, and at 25, I had a relatively comfortable career beforehand.

Thanks for the heads up, sometimes a good chat helps

Where about in Herts are you? A friends brother does maintenance in London and enjoys the work he has an electrical background and used to be the head maintenance guy at a Virgin gym, he left as they didn't appreciate him.

Where he works now is totally different, shift allowance on call rota/allowance if you get called out you are paid for a minimum amount of hours etc etc, I think in the last year or the year before he caned it as he wanted to earn as much as possible to buy a house which he did in the end.

Also if you are close to London then check out any vacancies for the Tube.

Where about in Herts are you? A friends brother does maintenance in London and enjoys the work he has an electrical background and used to be the head maintenance guy at a Virgin gym, he left as they didn't appreciate him.

Where he works now is totally different, shift allowance on call rota/allowance if you get called out you are paid for a minimum amount of hours etc etc, I think in the last year or the year before he caned it as he wanted to earn as much as possible to buy a house which he did in the end.

Also if you are close to London then check out any vacancies for the Tube.

Hi mate, I'm Hoddesdon way, not far from Enfield. I've applied for network rail, so far I've passed the assessments sent out to me, so I'm really looking forward to see where that leads. Supposedly network rail are a very good company in terms of looking after their staff

Hi mate, I'm Hoddesdon way, not far from Enfield. I've applied for network rail, so far I've passed the assessments sent out to me, so I'm really looking forward to see where that leads. Supposedly network rail are a very good company in terms of looking after their staff
Network Rail are pretty decent also try LUL/TFL then check the maintenance companies like MITIE Optimum etc etc with the Underground you get free travel.

Reply to Trainee trying to find the right path.. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock