Discuss training advice in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mulberry

Morning all,

Right then here we go with my first real post, so please take it easy fellas/ladies....

Considering training up to be involved in the electrical trade and would like recommendations on what you feel is the best way to go or how people have differed to get to where they are now?

Looking at the courses available it is difficult to know what is best, 2330 seems to be a start point for apprentices and those new into it but will obviously take a while. Private training offers more condensed learning in a shorter period but i have concerns about what you come out with in qualifications, ability gained and what you can then do legally. (also expensive!!)
I am quite confident i have electrician friends who will allow me to tag along/work to gain experience with them. As i work full time at the moment i am going to try and look at reducing my days here if possible to gain practical experience elsewhere. Might not be an option with my employer but i will give it a go.

My experience is limited and knowledge is basic , i have done the usual DIY, sockets, light fittings and wired out my workshop at home to the point of a sparky mate doing all the main connecting and checking etc. I am a practical person and confident with problem solving.

So after this longwinded first post can the guys who have been there and done it pass on their opinions of what they thought worked well and what they thought did not?
I would particularly be interested to hear from late starters like myself..

Alternatively tell me i am wasting my time to consider retraining at 39.
(Manufacturing background in signs/printing/graphics/fitting and involved in apprenticeships currently)

Thanks in advance for anyone who cares to comment
Phew! glad thats done..

Hi mulberry im in the same situation as yourself im 37 and have done similar work as yourself ive done my DEI domestic electrical installers course and am now looking at doing my 17th edition regs course hopefully will then register with governing body waiting for info to come through post.Will be planning on going on my own with some assistance from a spark i know whos been in trade for a while.Iwill be planning on only doing domestic work at moment though,i looked at doing 2330 at college they told me it would take about 4yrs in all as you say its long winded as its only 1 evening a week.As far as im aware you get same quals in intense courses and because its full time you just get quals quicker its up to the individual which you prefer age is not on my side i think:rolleyes: but you are never too late to learn im sure all experienced people on this forum will help you out as im only putting it how i see it good luck mate:D:D

• Click on Electricians Forum on top,
  • click on Electrical NVQ's & Courses,
  • go down to the bottom of the page,
  • click on the thread "Please can I have some advice?" started on 29-03-2008 at 06:08pm by ferryenthusiast
You'll find miles of information there and also in "Electrical Courses Feedback" topic

Going by the posts I read from previous threads like yours your best bet is:
  • EAL (Demostic Electrical Installer) more information on www.eal.org.uk/pdf/QUALSCAT07.pdf
  • City & Guild 2382 -Regulations for Electrical Installation (17th Edition)
  • City & Guild 2392 Fundemental Inspection and Testing. This could become four Fundation for City & Guild 2391 which is a full qualification in "Inspection, Testing and Certification".
I think doing them over a period of 6-12 months while gaining experience with your mate will make you more than "competant person". By then you will be big 40 and you still have years a head of you.

Thanks for the reply, are you currently working in the trade as a labourer or mate?
How did you sort out the initial DEI course and were you advised to do this one as the first step? I would like to get a bit of a basic grounding and not sure where to start...

Cheers mate and good luck

yes im currently doing some work now with sparky and done minor work on own mainly extra sockets lighting points and bigger jobs with mate to get experience as darius says check on this site i think its all here cant get a better site BRILL:D

Sorry mate was told about DEI from chap i know last year and had good chat with course person as i said before and since then about a year now really getting into it so it will be 17th edition regs next, all takes time could have done it all together but didnt have cash at the time so doing it in stages and now doing practical hands on as well, the choice is yours matey:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks fellas, i will have a look at the other thread you mentioned Darius-parky and thanks for mentioning/reminding me about the big 40.....

Thanks fellas, i will have a look at the other thread you mentioned Darius-parky and thanks for mentioning/reminding me about the big 40.....

You are all right mate. In here you will always be taken care of.

By if you click on quote under the post you would like to reply or ask a question about, a "Reply to Thread" window will open for you which has that particular post quoted on top. This way the person will know your comment or question is directed at him/her.

As for the big 40. You all right with me I am only 51.

Reply to training advice in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net