Discuss Training to become an sparky in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Loky11

-
Reaction score
Evening guys, I wouldn't mind becoming a sparky, but with a mortgage and 3 whipper snappers I can't afford to drop to an apprentice wage, there's no night courses near me, what other way is there? Or isn't there? Haha.

Firstly, welcome. How young are you and what is your current job? What attracts you to the industry?

29 year young, im a self employed spread, so being in the building trade for 10 years, I fancy something different, and electrics is what I've been interested in for a couple of years, just dont know how to go about it.

Oh no!

Somebody said a electricians mate pays okay the other day. So on-site assessment is a thing for the tiling industry, so you learn on the job and aren't useless to the tiler (sparky). Not sure if that's a thing in this trade too?

Edit: you posted at the same time as me, I'm not saying Oh No to the spread situation lol - That's a good trade. Don't want plasterers knocking on me door now. :)

Oh no!

Somebody said a electricians mate pays okay the other day. So on-site assessment is a thing for the tiling industry, so you learn on the job and aren't useless to the tiler (sparky). Not sure if that's a thing in this trade too?

Edit: you posted at the same time as me, I'm not saying Oh No to the spread situation lol - That's a good trade. Don't want plasterers knocking on me door now. :)

Hahaha, no bother mate, yea it's a good trade I'm not knocking it at all it's got me to where I am now, I'm just getting fed up of it to be honest, some jobs are good to do others just make me think why didn't I become a sparky or plumber, father in law was an electricians mate untill he fell 5 meters through a scaffold hatch.

Oh no!

"an Electrician's Mate" Dan tried to correct that for you:imp::innocent::smirkcat::tongue:

Being self employed, you’re in a better position to follow your heart, than if you were PAYE. Can you buddy up a couple of days a week as a labourer for a sparks you know, to dip your toe so to speak? You could do your Regs (18th edition) as online study and just go to the exam centre for the test, that will cost you around £400 including the blue book. Thereafter you’ll be in a better position to know if you really want to pursue the career change. Perhaps do some extra muck spreading ? at weekends if you can to make up for the days you’ve invested in sparky work during the week.

Awww' thanks's's fella'. :D
Any time. Dan here to help if I can, they do short courses in spelling and punctuation, if you are interested Mate ?:smilingimp::smirkcat::sweat::triumph:If you intend to join in the banter Dan get the basics' right. Am I dicing with a ban here?

Being self employed, you’re in a better position to follow your heart, than if you were PAYE. Can you buddy up a couple of days a week as a labourer for a sparks you know, to dip your toe so to speak? You could do your Regs (18th edition) as online study and just go to the exam centre for the test, that will cost you around £400 including the blue book. Thereafter you’ll be in a better position to know if you really want to pursue the career change. Perhaps do some extra muck spreading ? at weekends if you can to make up for the days you’ve invested in sparky work during the week.

Thanks Tony,

I know alot of sparkys 2 of which are good mates, but theyl just rip the ---- out of me ? however I do alot of work for another sparky I know so maybe I could ask him, only trouble is is I've got a labourer to think about aswell so it's put me in a ---- place.

Evening guys, I wouldn't mind becoming a sparky, but with a mortgage and 3 whipper snappers I can't afford to drop to an apprentice wage, there's no night courses near me, what other way is there? Or isn't there? Haha.
You could always speak to a training provider like JTL about an apprenticeship to get government funding for a position as a trainee. Since the government changed the funding regime last year, you can now get 95% funding at least at any age for an apprenticeship (assuming you didn’t do one before). Some companies will grade as a Trainee rather than apprentice which would give a higher wage recognising the benefit of people who have been in trades for a few years and have more real world experience. Might be worth asking the question

Reply to Training to become an sparky in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock