Discuss Transformer buzzing noise in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

rikesh

Hello,
Posted this question on another forum but the place is dead! So thought I'd try here.
I have an electric reclining sofa from DFS (UK). It works perfectly well, but the transformer sporadically emits a constant buzzing noise. I have found that a gentle slap cures the problem – but eventually the noise returns again.
How do I sort this out?
Many thanks

is it under warranty? if so, call dfs. if not, you may be able to reduce or eliminate the buzzing by fitting some rubber between the transformer and whatever it's bolted to. ( solate from the mains before delving in)

I bet the dude in China who probably knocked it together got more than a gentle slap during his 18 hour shift......

As already suggested it's either going to be something that's not properly secured or an internal problem with the transformer or another component. It's not the kind of thing you'd be able to safely repair either way, with modern appliances of any sort you're likely to cause more problems by opening them up and there's usually no serviceable items in there anyway.

Sofa is a few years old now - out of warranty!

Certainly not the contactor as this noise is constant (regardless of whether operating motor or not).

Haha believe me if you saw this sofa, you'd agree it is beautiful. One of DFS's better creations. With my city's generous selection of either DFS, Argos or Land of Leather, I've made the right choice!

Ok so there is no sense in opening the transformer up? In that case, I guess I will find some soundproofing material to wrap it with.

Appreciate your help everyone.

Haha believe me if you saw this sofa, you'd agree it is beautiful. One of DFS's better creations. With my city's generous selection of either DFS, Argos or Land of Leather, I've made the right choice!
After that post you'll have to show us a picture of it. If it doesn't beer on tap and naked dancing girls it's probably not as good as you think it is:)

Sofa is a few years old now - out of warranty!

Certainly not the contactor as this noise is constant (regardless of whether operating motor or not).

Ok so there is no sense in opening the transformer up? In that case, I guess I will find some soundproofing material to wrap it with.

Appreciate your help everyone.

Please don't wrap anything around the transformer, otherwise a buzzing noise will be the least of your worries :)

Reply to Transformer buzzing noise in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock