Discuss Travel time rates/ millage rates. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Josh95

-
Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone tell me the standard rates for millage and hourly rate wile traveling for a self-employed electrician. I'm thinking first half an hour of travel charge nothing then full rate for anything after that + 25p per mile ? does that sound about right?

40p/mile at least to cover fuel, wear and tear, etc. hmrc allow about 45p/mile against tax.

How far are you planning to travel?

My first hour rate is higher than the subsequent hours - this takes care of such matters.

I was getting 50p a mile,paid when I left home until I got back.
That's about 20 years ago,they really don't like paying theses days,I haven't had a rise for over 6 years,our trade pretty poor looking after the good ones.

I keep it simple and just charge 1/2 my hourly rate for travel time, you don't want to be charging pennies per mile if you get stuck in traffic! but I know a lot that just charge full rate from the moment they get in the van to the job and same on return journey

I charge my standard rate for travel time on all jobs instead of a higher rate for the first hour on site. This means that I work out cheaper for nearby jobs, but if someone really wants me to travel, they pay for my time to do it.

I charge an hourly rate for local jobs and stick £5 on first hour for any jobs over 15 miles or just give a priced job with a total figure to cover extra distance. I don't usually go that much further afield.
I've looked at HMRC site for sole traders and you can claim 45p a mile if sole trader against tax.

Reply to Travel time rates/ millage rates. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock