Discuss Tray and Trunking cutting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

Richard3009

Are there any guides online on tray and trunking cutting techniques, my lad is learning and i wondered if there are any guides on the net, google throws up nothing.

A good bit of starting advice might be 'measure twice, cut once'!

If they're using made up angles and bends then it's a piece of p and little more than measure up, cut to length, offer up, mark up, drill out, sling it up, bolt together.

If he's manufacturing bends then get a gook bood on tinsmithing or sheet metalwork perhaps?

Useful/necessary to have in the toolbox;
* Quality PPE, goggles, gloves, coveralls that don't burn too easily
* Quality 4.5" Angle Grinder with carb cutting discs, grinding discs and Emery wheels (plenty of each, dry stored and fitted properly!) If you can manage two it often saves time swapping discs or thinking too far ahead to save changing discs.
* Quality Power drill (HSS and masonry bits) pref with hammer
* 2nd Cut (or b-astard) half round file (for dressing edges)
* Combi Square (for measuring angles)
* 5m steel tape
* Dividers (for marking up)
* Another pair of hands :O)

Some timber for laying tray on for cutting, one piece either side of the cut and enough to support any bits hanging over to keep the job flat.

Probably plenty more to add but it's early! Hope that's a useful start

Last edited by a moderator:
Nowadays most consultants and specifications require all pre manufactured bends, angles etc, personally i prefer to see a sparky manufacture sets/doublesets etc with a single piece of trunking, (it will always have better continuity as it is a solid piece of metal), i am not aware of anything on the nett aw we were shown by time served sparks

Smaller galv trunking and tray is easy to cut with a hacksaw but when you get on to bigger trunking - 6 inch upwards I find it easier and quicker to cut using a jig saw or chop saw as you can get better accuracy when cutting. For cutting plastic trunking use a hacksaw or mitre saw for angles.

Ive been doing loads of galv trunking lately and have onloy used pre-maunfactured bends as it is quicker although making your own is easy enough just takes a bit longer.

Don,t forget the galv spray lads, stops the cut ends goin all rusty in time, and sometimes you have to manufacture the double sets etc cause the ones you buy are to big, and if you have no choice but to end the tray, don,t forget about earth continuity, also we use braided earth links as well.
If at all possible keep the tray solid through out, some companies we have subbed for wont except anything less.

i think someone's trying to pull a fast one there lol, i have spares of book 1 and book 2 i'm trying to shift i'll happily get rid for about £15 each.

I realise this thread's 10 years old but for anyone interested:
Resources for trunking - Electrical Installations Book 1 ,
or there're excellent videos on the subject on Learning Lounge (costs around £50 but there's a lot of other good stuff there).
On YouTube GSH Electrical and others have videos on the subject.

Also, a double set is where you have 2 sets like a dog leg so you end up running parallel to your original line but to one side.
Where you step off the wall, over something and back to the wall is called a bubble, crank or bridge set.

Reply to Tray and Trunking cutting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock