Discuss Trouble with a new 3-way switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Struggling with adding a 3-way switch. I have a feed with 2 wire, a 2 wire to the light, and a 3 way ran just to my new switch in one box; a simple over head light, and my second switch box with just the one 3 wire. My question is how exactly to wire at each switch, all I seem to get is power but no control at either switch.

Thanks for your response, please see attached. This is the box with the 3 lines (light, hot, and 2nd switch) the other box only has switch line.

Attachments

• 7859EED6-D575-44EF-9223-A5145767E836.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 2C4DEB38-506C-440A-8633-8BB48269A1FB.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 8
Assuming that is a two way switch then something like this. The black screw is common (C) the other two are L1 and L2. The bare earth go to the green screw, the neutral in and out to a wire nut.20200308_152309.jpg

Struggling with adding a 3-way switch. I have a feed with 2 wire, a 2 wire to the light, and a 3 way ran just to my new switch in one box; a simple over head light, and my second switch box with just the one 3 wire. My question is how exactly to wire at each switch, all I seem to get is power but no control at either switch.
Tsullivan you need a 3 way switch on both ends the live wire goes to the first switch terminal on top then you install 2 wires which are called travelers to the second switch bottom screws from the first switch and the black wire on the second switch hooks to the top terminal and goes to the light and the neutral goes straight to the lights

Reply to Trouble with a new 3-way switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, Need some help with an odd setup. I have a large room with many lights that i separated into 2 sets. In Box 1 there is the 14/2 power in, 2...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm replacing standard light switches in my hall and landing with touch switches (not smart, just touch on/off) like these from Amazon...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m looking to install 3 meross smart switches for 3 lights: entrance switch: only 1 gang but 3 way switch bedroom switch: 2 gang (1 is 1...
Replies
Views
Hi, I installed 6 recessed lights in my living room. I’m now up to the wiring part of the project. There is an outlet in the room that is...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone... There are a total of 4 cables entering the junction box at the top of the staircase. Two 12/2 cables are coming in through the...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock