Discuss Trunking vs tray in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

All the pictures show is how as a part of a gang you've helped run cables. What was you're input at the business end of the cables?

We then distribute the cable to the end customer, be it concessions, stage power, front of house power, site lighting, stage lighting, security power. Where ever a pwoer requirement is ordered, the heavy mains are taken from the generators to main distribution boards, and gradually "diluted" down to feed the necessary areas via a sort of cardio vascular style system. Heavy mains usually power lock or 25mm 5 core cable representing the arteries if you will supply the main distribution boards which will then further break down to an array of smaller cables which then run off to feed smaller boards which again break down and split etc etc until the capillaries such as the single phase 16amp commandos that feed a 500W site halogen on a path way, or the 13amp feed for a caterers burco boiler, or a 32amp 3 phase feed for a bank of metal workers welders.

The company i worked for distributed that cable from A all the way down to Z. We tailed the generators and fed the end customer. So my input was provided across the whole supply chain, chin deep in Glastonbury mud.

Yea, AAA passes usually. Have to be there during the events to maintain the systems. If there is a fault, we are on radios roaming the site in defenders and just attend the fault site and fix it. When the gigs are on, we just make a sort of hit list within our team, of bands we all want to see, and pair off for the weekend.

For my first couple of years, as a green horn, i wasn't required to attend faults really, so just went off with my girlfriend who was the crew caterer and just enjoyed the gigs work free. Then when the shows are over, its 16-18 hour days back to back stripping out our gear. Glastonbury for example, takes under 2 weeks to put together and lay our cable and power the site, we take it out in 2 days. Hard graft, many cables you find have been crapped on by punters, ****ed all over, puked on... any bodily fluid available gets splashed on them, never leave compound with gloves.......

glasto 1.JPGglasto 2.JPG

Glasto 2011. About to head out with my boy who was about 18 months old (conceived at Glastonbury 09 just for your information haha)

And out on call, but enjoying the weekend. Best work in the world. If i could do it all year round, i would be happy in work for the next 30 years.

What about your usual job then?...if you do that in the summer it must require you to be there during the week. Do you take time off?...

I actually did my first 6 months of my apprenticeship at a film and TV lighting company. They did events like boxing and ultimate fighting, so used to go to them. I found in that sort of work you need to be 100% dedicated to work. Its long hours on site throughout the week or weekends depending on job, all over Europe too. Starting at 8am and only coming home at 3am once you've packed up. Hard to have a social life. It's hard work dragging the cables in too lol. Doing events during the summer would probably be good, but I wouldn't like to do it all year round...

Well yea 2011 was a little awkward with the seasons work, had to basically use up my full time job's holiday allowance to do it. Big money that way as i get double pay but had a pretty limp year with no break.

Absolutely yea, longest shift i ever worked flat out was 23 hours. Black eyed peas arrived for their headline gig at 10pm, two hours before they go on stage announced they wanted to use american gear. Full stage power strip down and replaced with their gear, 30 mins of awful music, they leave, replace entire stage set up as it was. All this after an already long day. Didnt get back to my caravan till gone 4 am....all for a flat day rate.

I would do it all year round for sure. I love it. The social life if the job for me. Awesome crew, meet lots of people, the work is intrinsically social anyway and you get to work out doors in festival and event environments which i love. Thinking about applying for work with Agrekko but they are the main competitor the company i was working for before, so it could get awkward.

a bit late joining this now, but...

generally around our site, i always use tray. I think its 100 times neater. Infact, IMO, i HATE trunking!! I do however like to use trunking instead of gland plates as the pics show. Unfortunately, as you see from the pictures, this project grew legs like Usain Bolt and all extra capacity on the tray was used up immediately. Bit of a school boy error there, but as its a stand alone unit, i kind of got away with it
.View attachment 18032View attachment 18033

And glasto 2011 for me was the same as 2008,2009,2010 and hopefully 2013, one big massive blur. Roll on June.

Reply to Trunking vs tray in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net