Discuss tt best method cheapest method? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Right mate,

your only concern is from the existing tails from the meter to the CU.

As your CU is plastic and contains two 30mA RCD's, there is no problem at all.

As I said, some sparks prefer an additional 100mA T/D upfront to provide some backup protection just incase one of the 30mA ones fail.
By the regs this is not a requirement (unless the CU was metal) in this situation, but in some circumstances I would agree with fitting it.
On such a small domestic install it could be argued that this would be overkill.

No, you would not fail an assessment for not providing it.

Just out of interest what is that additional box connected in series with the Tails ?, as the 3rd pic is too small to see.

If it is an RCD, is it just an upfront 30mA type ?, or just an isolator ?

upfront rcd 80 amp 30 ma, would trip all circuits as 2rcds in cu 30ma

OK,
This has got to go!,

you have 4 choices here

1) You could replace the tails from the meter to go directly to the CU, but this would mean cutting the seals on the meter, not recommended.

2) just fit a 100A DP Isolator and enclosure, in place of it

3) fit a 100A (maybe 80A if you know what the DNO's fuse is) 100mA T/D RCD and enclosure

4) Henly block it to join the tails

Just a couple of points from the pictures - you'll need to do these before your ELECSA review:

• Those blank slots in the CU need blanking plates
  • The loose cables need tidying up and given support
  • The MET needs a "SAFETY EARTH, DO NOT DISCONNECT" label (Pinch one from a BS951 clamp)
  • Can't see what is happening in the top of your CU bit it looks like the tails (maybe other cables) go into the top of the CU. Don't forget you must seal all holes in the top of the CU to meet the IP4x requirements

earth pit done,old pic.
ringing suplier to supply bigger fuse so install new tails to consumer unit dp isolator then,
consumer unit undergoing work hense no blanks labels yet.
presently old tails going into top of cu these needs replacing with new i could come from underneath and seal top with pvc and silicone? could i seal around tails from the top with silicone?

OK,
This has got to go!,

you have 4 choices here

1) You could replace the tails from the meter to go directly to the CU, but this would mean cutting the seals on the meter, not recommended.

2) just fit a 100A DP Isolator and enclosure, in place of it

3) fit a 100A (maybe 80A if you know what the DNO's fuse is) 100mA T/D RCD and enclosure

4) Henly block it to join the tails

The way to go, IMHO, is rip out the existing 30ma "upfront" RCD and replace it with a 100 DP isolation switch. There is no need for an up front RCD in this case as you have used an plastic CU.

PS. don't forget all the obligatory labels too, plus the laminated schedule of tests results and nice biscuits!

The way to go, IMHO, is rip out the existing 30ma "upfront" RCD and replace it with a 100 DP isolation switch. There is no need for an up front RCD in this case as you have used an plastic CU.

PS. don't forget all the obligatory labels too, plus the laminated schedule of tests results and nice biscuits!

Yes Murdoch, this would have been my choice here too, in this situation.

Just for the sake of completeness, I would have included an up front 100mA T/D RCD if for example I was using a hi-integrity threeway board, with one of the non RCD'd ways providing a sub main or dist. cable to a shed or outbuilding or the like.

Or using a metal CU.

Reply to tt best method cheapest method? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock