Discuss Tumble dryer not working. in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi I have a swan stc7020w tumble dryer. It turns on but when I press start it just beeps and doesn’t do anything. Also it has leaked water underneath and had loads of water and gunk underneath the heat exchanger. I had bought it from a shop as a refurb with 30 days gaurentee and conveniently broke on 32 days so they won’t help me out and said it’s now my problem ? any ideas would be really appreciated thanks

I think the first thing is to get the back off and see where that water has leaked from. Also see if it has done any damage to any connections etc.

Obviously make sure it's unplugged first.

Did it go from great to nothing or was there noticably reduced drying before it stopped?

Sounds like a lack of regular cleaning has resulted in blockage of lift pump or tube and that water isn't being pumped from base to collection tank. That would be a clean/flush operation, but would require partial disassembly.

Last edited:
Hi it seemed to worked fine at the start. We did the regular cleaning of everything in it. Here is a picture of some of the stuff I cleaned out from under the heat exchanger. And also when I took off the back this is what it looks like too. Like it had been leaking a long time?

Attachments

• Tumble dryer not working. 1DD81421-5E1F-4470-9621-DC8B3A43B7A7 - EletriciansForums.net
    1DD81421-5E1F-4470-9621-DC8B3A43B7A7.jpeg
    406.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Tumble dryer not working. EF29532E-D5A9-4B61-8459-BA2E50C49DA6 - EletriciansForums.net
    EF29532E-D5A9-4B61-8459-BA2E50C49DA6.jpeg
    461.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Tumble dryer not working. 31F92BA7-F81F-4F29-8DCE-D3F35E9A65C8 - EletriciansForums.net
    31F92BA7-F81F-4F29-8DCE-D3F35E9A65C8.jpeg
    395.5 KB · Views: 12
all that was there when you bought it.obviously not been serviced before sale.

all that was there when you bought it.obviously not been serviced before sale.
I thought so too. And when I said his machine should last longer then 2 days after the guarantee he pretty much just said well how long should it last?
Would a blocked hose or anything cause this? Or broken pump maybe? Just thinking where to start when taking it apart

Last edited:
Don't take it apart. Take it back and get a refund.

Looking at the pictures I think I'll revise my advice to match that of loz2754. That leak has been there some time.

Technically you're allowed a refund on the first 30 days, even for second hand goods, when bought from a retailer.
After that, you have 6 months to demand a repair or replacement, without having to prove the goods are inherently faulty. The retailer has one chance to repair it, then if the fault returns, or another fault develops, they must issue a refund.

Don't take it apart. Take it back and get a refund.
They wont he said they give us our 30 day guarantee then after that it’s our problem. Then said it’s just like anything in life they have ensured it’s worked as it should for the 30 day period ??‍♂️ So I obviously had enough by this point and fell out with him and he’s blocked me and my partner

They wont he said they give us our 30 day guarantee then after that it’s our problem. Then said it’s just like anything in life they have ensured it’s worked as it should for the 30 day period ??‍♂️ So I obviously had enough by this point and fell out with him and he’s blocked me and my partner
Just like anything in life, there are laws which can be enforced. You could send a letter detailing what the law says your rights are and what his responsibilities are.
If you get nowhere, you can report him to trading standards.

Images tell a very different story to what I'd suspected and show clear evidence of long term leak, the cause of which obviously predates your purchase.

I'll also throw my weight behind the advice offered by @loz2754 and would offer the vendor one chance at repair, prior to taking steps to recover your loss. Too many businesses seem to think that trading legislation doesn't apply to them (often they haven't bothered to imform themselves of legal obligations) and believe they can absolve themselves of all responsibility after a short period of time.

Reply to Tumble dryer not working. in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock