Discuss Twin and Earth CPC in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

We in the UK used to use SWG, also wires would be given by strands/diameter (e.g. 3/0.029 for 3 strands of 0.029" diameter each, about 1.3mm2 CAS typically for light circuits, etc).

These days it is all the CSA that is specified, which helps a lot for sizing circuits!

IEC 60364-5-54 states that phase conductors 16mm2 and smaller require a CPC of the same size, over 16 to 35mm2 a 16mm2 CPC and over 35mm2 a half size CPC is required.

My questions is why am I seeing catalogs with harmonized twin and earth with reduced size CPCs over 2.5mm2? And why doesn't the half size rule kick in when wire is over 4mm2 instead of 16mm2?

It doesn't - the cross sectional area is determined by calculation in accordance with 543.1.3, however if you don't want to calculate it then you can refer to 543.1.4 and table 54.7 in which case your summary is correct.

Did you just look at the table rather than reading the standard?

BTW IEC 60364-5-54 is chapter 54 in BS7671 other than the 9 clearly marked exceptions

In reality few electricians have to use the adiabatic equation (though they should know how to) as the IET's On Site Guide has some useful tables that incorporate the information for circuit design. For example this table is for BS88 fuses and shows the maximum Zs values for different CPC sizes:
Twin and Earth CPC OSG-example_tabl - EletriciansForums.net
For example, if you have 10mm T&E cable with a 4mm CPC used as a sub-main feed so you could allow 5s disconnection, you might have a 63A fuse for short circuit protection only, and then the downstream DB can use a mix of MCBs up to 32A in order to provide overload protection with a reasonable chance of selectivity. Looking at the above table you see you max measured Zs is 0.49 ohms, so your final test at the nice new DB would be to confirm this is met.

Also you see the value is 0.62 ohms in all the larger CPC sizes - they are time-limited for the fuse action, where as at 4mm it is adiabatically limited (hence lower Zs for a shorter fault disconnection time).

slight variation on the theme, I had a roll of twin and earth recently and the cpc was insulated in green/yellow, made a change... I checked and turns out this is apparently standard in Ireland. suppliers had received wrong pallet and not realised. i think if it was put on sale over here it would sale. I would buy it as it saves sleeving.

Some people always say non insulated CPC is safer/better because if there's a break in insulation or nail hammered in or something it will come into contact with the CPC easier, although I don't think this is in any official books you hear it alot.

Some people always say non insulated CPC is safer/better because if there's a break in insulation or nail hammered in or something it will come into contact with the CPC easier, although I don't think this is in any official books you hear it alot.
That might be a factor, but I suspect it was originally driven by the desire to save cost of extra PVC and smaller overall size of cable to make installation easier.

and what's the name of the IEC publication? is it free? or where can you buy it?

what country puts in the most input to the IEC regulations?
and what's the name of the IEC publication? is it free? or where can you buy it?

what country puts in the most input to the IEC regulations?

IEC 60364-5-54:2011
Low-voltage electrical installations - Part 5-54: Selection and erection of electrical equipment - Earthing arrangements and protective conductors

Not free - Don't know the cost - I just buy the UK version which includes all sections and is around £76 - amazon, IET... loads of places.

Most of europe - UK is a big contributor

IEC 60364-5-54:2011
Low-voltage electrical installations - Part 5-54: Selection and erection of electrical equipment - Earthing arrangements and protective conductors

Not free - Don't know the cost - I just buy the UK version which includes all sections and is around £76 - amazon, IET... loads of places.

Most of europe - UK is a big contributor
Thanks so the IEC is broken down into quite small publications where as BS7671 includes the whole lot in one publication.

Last edited:
Thanks so the IET is broken down into quite small publications where as BS7671 includes the whole lot in one publication.

Yes, it is explained in BS7671

I think he has just looked at table 54.7 without reading the regulations - as I suggested earlier.

there is NO requirement under the IEC version or the UK version that the cpc is the same size

I was always told by older sparks that Rings and reduced cpcs were due to copper shortages during the war....
Not exactly. They were introduced post-WW2 partly with a view to the shortages of materials, but also a surprisingly forward-looking realisation by the IEE that new homes would need far more outlets.

As a result it would be very wasteful to carry on with the pre-WW2 practice of many radial circuits with different fuse sizes at the DB and single unfused plugs (of which 2A, 5A, 15A and very rarely 30A existed in round-pin) depending on the appliance needs.

So the ring with one 20A or 30A fuse (as it was at the time) and many sockets due to diversity of use, and from which a common design of "13A plug" that could be fused 1,2,3,5,7,10 or 13A meant a far more efficient system.

slight variation on the theme, I had a roll of twin and earth recently and the cpc was insulated in green/yellow, made a change... I checked and turns out this is apparently standard in Ireland. suppliers had received wrong pallet and not realised. i think if it was put on sale over here it would sale. I would buy it as it saves sleeving.
It's about 30% dearer than standard T&E though. (Of course part of that is that there's a very limited amount made due to I.S. 201 cable being for such a small market. The other major factor is the extra copper content.)

It's about 30% dearer than standard T&E though. (Of course part of that is that there's a very limited amount made due to I.S. 201 cable being for such a small market. The other major factor is the extra copper content.)
The copper content often dominates cost these days.

Do you have an idea why the Irish standards body went for equal size / insulated CPC?

The copper content often dominates cost these days.

Do you have an idea why the Irish standards body went for equal size / insulated CPC?
At a guess it was to harmonise with continental Europe, but that's just an assumption on my part. (Although it's different to the cable types used there. That said, NYM-J is also used frequently.)

Yes, it is explained in BS7671

I think he has just looked at table 54.7 without reading the regulations - as I suggested earlier.

there is NO requirement under the IEC version or the UK version that the cpc is the same size

Wait- I thought table 54.3 was mandatory when the adiabatic method isn't being used?

Waste time was a bit harsh but the money we save will eventually be lost to testing, where as if we used the same size CPC we would only need to test PEFC/Ze at origin like we do PSCC.

Nonsense, the same testing is required whatever the size of the cpc.
An equal size cpc requires testing exactly the same as a reduced size one does.

Wait- I thought table 54.3 was mandatory when the adiabatic method isn't being used?

Yes, but if you are wiring standard circuits using T&E then you will meet the requirements given by the adiabatic method.

Your question was along the lines of 'why is this cable produced' (with smaller CPC) - well because it is perfectly acceptable to install if you size it correctly.

Reply to Twin and Earth CPC in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock