Discuss Two seperate +12V Outputs - When Turning left or right in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

deepthi

DIY
Reaction score
Hi
I have Toyota RAV4, 2010
I have question for you, I am going to install two mirror cameras to turn on when turning lights are on (left camera to turn on, when left turning light is on and right camera to turn on when right turning light is on).

To do this, I need to detect positive 12V inputs (not ground) separately for left and right turns blinks, so how do I achieve this

May be simplest to use two of instant on/delay off relays connected to the feeds to the indicator lamps, with the off delay set to about one second.
A diode feeding an electrolytic capacitor, connected across a 12 volt relay with a reasonably high coil resistance might work.

May be simplest to use two of instant on/delay off relays connected to the feeds to the indicator lamps, with the off delay set to about one second.
A diode feeding an electrolytic capacitor, connected across a 12 volt relay with a reasonably high coil resistance might work.
Thank you for the reply, this is my second option, according to the wiring diagram, I should be tapping to TR & TL signals, not sure where they are, this is the feed coming to the relay as far as I understand :)

Thank you for the reply, this is my second option, according to the wiring diagram, I should be tapping to TR & TL signals, not sure where they are, this is the feed coming to the relay as far as I understand :)
You might be able to tap into the turn switch feed to the flasher relay, at the relay up behind the dash. The connections labelled ER and EL in the diagram below, which as you say are the TR and TL signals from the switch. Looks a pain to get at the instrument panel junction block, but I don't have any inside knowledge. Google is what you need!
PS. If the camera is any significant load, it will affect the flashing speed 🤭 of the indicator since it looks like this might be a good old-fashioned bi-metallic strip job.
E5F4A0A9-9523-4564-9D0B-59A216960196.jpeg

Last edited:
You might be able to tap into the turn switch feed to the flasher relay, at the relay up behind the dash. The connections labelled ER and EL in the diagram below, which as you say are the TR and TL signals from the switch. Looks a pain to get at the instrument panel junction block, but I don't have any inside knowledge. Google is what you need!
PS. If the camera is any significant load, it will affect the flashing speed 🤭 of the indicator since it looks like this might be a good old-fashioned bi-metallic strip job.
View attachment 96066
Thank you for the reply, this is exacly what I was looking at, if you see following screenshot, Not sure where wire Harness (right side of the digram is located to tap into TR & TL +12V positive feed , if you have suggestion to where to find, that would be helpful (I could not find in the Junction Boxes)1647306324534.png

I imagine the connector E15 in the above diagram is on the back of the headlight/indicator stalk on the steering column, which doesn't seem an obvious place to make the connection (or is it a connector on the side of the junction box?).

Getting to the back of the relay in the junction box, given I gather it's high up behind the dash, might be difficult.

I don't know the car, and have no advice about implementing this.

You will need a multimeter to check the proposed connections do give steady power all the time the indicator is on. No point in adding any wiring until you've checked the terminal you've chosen does what you want!

Reply to Two seperate +12V Outputs - When Turning left or right in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net