Discuss Type A rcd in series or change at the board in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I am to install a car charger that states a type A RVD is to be installed. Can this be put in the garage from the non rcd side of the board or is it better to change the RCD on the board and use that side. I assume it makes no difference

How about an EV Charger that already has a type A Rcd built-in. MCB off none rcd side to give you discrimination . Also you will need an EV Tester. What type of earthing arrangement does the property have ? Have you calculated Max Demand ?

I put a 6mm in ready through to garage as it’s 7kw, it says on the info sheet a type a must be installed and it’s a tncs.

So the EV charger does not have Rcd protection built in which surprises me. Rcd”s need to be A type now.In this case a Rcd that disconnects all live conductors.
Rcds do not need to be Type A it is that most situations will default you to a Type A.

The charge point should have a dedicated RCD - it shouldn't be taken from the RCD protected side of the board.

Does the charger come with built in PEN fault protection? If not, you’re going need to rod it too.

Just something else to think about.

How about an EV Charger that already has a type A Rcd built-in. MCB off none rcd side to give you discrimination . Also you will need an EV Tester. What type of earthing arrangement does the property have ? Have you calculated Max Demand ?
It says the following also no rod required..If you are adding to a consumer unit with a spare way and no RCD protection or a split load board with a spare way before the RCD’s (so non-RCD protected) then you can fit an A-Type 30mA RCBO as per the overcurrent protection. recommendations above.
If there are no spare ways in the consumer unit, the consumer unit is not suitable or in a condition that can be added to or parts are not available then you should install a separate consumer unit with the appropriate RCD and overcurrent protection.
The Hypervolt Home 2.0 includes a 6mA DC RCD that detects fault current and safely isolates the output circuit according to IEC 62955. This should not be confused with the need for the RCD protection described above.

I am to install a car charger that states a type A RVD is to be installed. Can this be put in the garage from the non rcd side of the board or is it better to change the RCD on the board and use that side. I assume it makes no difference
Hypervolt normally requires a 2 pole B curve Type A RCD + 32/40A MCB, you can either replace the RCD at the supply to the garage, or supply the garage DB from non RCD side of main DB and fit it in the garage, just don't use 2 RCD's in series.

Reply to Type A rcd in series or change at the board in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock