Discuss Underfloor heating with economy 7 ? in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lightbug

DIY
Reaction score
Hi everone
can anyone advise me on two things
I'm having underfloor heating fitted and want to run it on my economy 7
Has anyone managed to do this and how could you control the input?
What sort of electric metre could be used?
Bearing I. Mind it turns off during the day so won't have electric at night ?
Any advise please would be helpful
Thanks

Hi everone
can anyone advise me on two things
I'm having underfloor heating fitted and want to run it on my economy 7
Has anyone managed to do this and how could you control the input?
What sort of electric metre could be used?
Bearing I. Mind it turns off during the day so won't have electric at night ?
Any advise please would be helpful
Thanks
Interesting... so what's your thought process/logic in wanting economy 7 for underfloor heating ?

Well
I have storage heaters and they will be removed
They are so economic and the underfloor heating I think will run sort of the same.. I have a log burner for evening heat.. Just debating weather this would be the way forward as ecomy seven is seven times cheeper?
I haven't had it wired in yet.?

Assuming this Underfloor heating is electric.
Economy 7 reduced prices only apply overnight, underfloor heating is normally required during the daytime.

The only way I can see this working is if you have a floor layed above the heating that is made of very thick stone slabs to store the heat generated overnight and allow it into the room during the day.

Assuming this Underfloor heating is electric.
Economy 7 reduced prices only apply overnight, underfloor heating is normally required during the daytime.
Thanks for your messages
Yes I know when it's on..
I wondered if it would keep most of its heat during the day..?
I also have tiles underneath the tiles on top.. I have log burner for evening? Has anyone actually tried it?
Or Fitted an input metre??

The only way I can see this working is if you have a floor layed above the heating that is made of very thick stone slabs to store the heat generated overnight and allow it into the room during the day.
And there used to be systems like that. I replaced one of them. It had a great big contactor that clunked in at midnight and work everybody up.

I wondered if it would keep most of its heat during the day..?

No it won't.
The heat will escape the floor as there is no barrier to keep it in.
You'd have to have a floor specifically designed to retain heat, but release it on demand, I doubt there is such a thing.

No it won't.
The heat will escape the floor as there is no barrier to keep it in.
You'd have to have a floor specifically designed to retain heat, but release it on demand, I doubt there is such a thing.
OK but have you tried it? No
I think I will just get it wired in and test it with a simple on off switch and see
How long it stays warm.. Also have a high wattage matting... If its stays warm until late afternoon I will be happy and it will cost next to nothing as economy seven is so cheap?
If it doesn't work then I can get it wired with normal supply and metre etc?

Please stop and have a rethink, or you'll waste your money. I have underfloor heating in my bathroom, tiled floor. It takes a good half hour to heat up and after an hour the floor is back to the ambient temperature.
Storage radiators have two features that a regular (even well insulated floor) does not have
1. A lot of thermal bricks, inside a closed box, that absorb the heat and store it
2. A heat output regulator at the top of the closed box so that all of the heat does not escape too quickly.
A big open floor justreleases all of any heat very quickly into the air.

Also, do look again at your expectation
economy seven is seven times cheeper?
Check what your energy supplier is quoting. It is nowhere near seven times cheaper!!
[automerge]1569926901[/automerge]
MORE!!. I just looked at EDF tariff information (for standard rate, other deals are a bit cheaper, but not much)
Their standard rate is 17.77p/ kWh
If you go for E7, they charge
Day rate - 20.52p per kWh Night rate - 11.07p per kWh

So not even half the price at night time..... time to have a rethink?

Last edited:
You seem to have found E7 tariff that I'm not aware of... you say it's 7 times cheaper than daytime ?? So I pay 14.8p/kWh at all times... which would imply that you've found an E7 tariff of about 2.1p/kWh ??
Yes basically
but it was fitted in 1996
I run my water heater at night on it as well ?
Don't think it will work with underfloor heating.. Needs a storage heater

better option would be to use wood burner to feed radiators. obviosly the wopd burner would need a back boiler. ( Scouser advice is that wood is free if you visit Travis Perkins at 2.00 a.m. ;););)

I came across something like this in a 1960s flat. Surprised to find that it was on night tariff, it heated up the whole floor slab and slowly released throughout the day. Original installation, still working 50 years on

Best solution would be to use a back boiler from the wood burning stove to heat a thermal store... then use the heat from the thermal store for a wet underfloor heating system and domestic hot water too ! That could be a very cheap system to run (TP permitting...)

Couple that with a PV array and battery storage system, sufficient to give about 8-10kWh in the winter... you could go off-grid !!

Reply to Underfloor heating with economy 7 ? in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net